[Support request] Sticky header is Jumpy

Home Forums Support [Support request] Sticky header is Jumpy

Home Forums Support Sticky header is Jumpy

• This topic has 26 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by David.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s strange that the CSS above did anything as your navigation doesn’t have a .menu-bar-item item.

I’ve been playing with this and I’m having trouble spotting the issue.

On the other sites you’re seeing this issue with, are you using a mega menu plugin? If not, can you link me to one of those so I can see the behavior with a default navigation?

Let me know πŸ™‚

John

Sorry, I didn’t realize this one was using MegaMenu. I will get you a large list of non-megamenu sites to look at.

John

Ok, I just emailed it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Think I see the issue – it’s already fixed in 2.1.0 (coming soon).

Try add this for now:

#sticky-placeholder {
        width: auto !important;
    }

Let me know πŸ™‚

John

That did it!

Tom, you’re a WordPress Wizard with truly magical skills and I can’t tell you how happy this makes me! I’ve never regretted my decision to choose GeneratePress for my company’s ONLY theme builder 5 years ago when you were just a baby plugin and you literally never cease to amaze me. Not just you but your whole team. This forum is a real blessing to me and my company. I try to donate regularly because it’s almost impossible to find companies that provide such a genuinely caring support for their product and the community. Keep up the good work!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you, John! Really means a lot. Thanks for all your support over the years πŸ™‚

RafaΕ‚

Hi there!
    I’ve spent a couple of hours to figure out this wired jumpy behavior. Anyway, width: auto !important does not help in my case – where the header is packed quite tightly with wide branding and main menu.

That’s why #sticky-placeholder cannot lay out in a single row – its children stack one after other, because there’s no room for them.

#sticky-navigation got display: none temporarily, to see better the situation:
    #sticky-placeholder room

#sticky-placeholder got visibility: visible temporarily, to see better the situation:
    #sticky-placeholder visibility: visible

If
    #sticky-placeholder has already property left: 0,
    and header.site-header – the outer container – has already property position: relative
    (GP 3.1 / GP Premium 2.2.1)
    so, the solution is:

#sticky-placeholder {
        position: absolute;
    }

πŸ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we’re looking at rewriting the sticky navigation to overcome some of these problems as well as to remover jQuery. In the meantime thanks for your feedback, much appreciated as i am sure it may help others.

Ian

Excellent that sticky nav won’t require jquery in the future. Is there a timeline for this so I can estimate things on my end?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

We’re still looking for a good solution that provides the transitions that jQuery can offer… which is proving a trickier task then we first thought. So no definitive timeline as yet

Ian

Thanks for your reply David. Currently, an easy way to stick a block element is to use css (say a top bar above the header). I wonder if something similar can be done while the user scrolls and the sticky nav menu pops. Maybe jquery is needed for the nav section to display + stick or just stick? Short of rebuilding the full header, I think this would be great feature if it can be accomplished through GPP. Thx!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah CSS sticky is a good option. and would be the base that we lead with on a new version when no transitioning is required. Transitions just cause a layer of headache and potential jankiness – and we want to do it right. Or in the worse case scenario we give uses the jQuery option if they want transition.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.