[Resolved] Static Page, Sections & Sidebar

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Static Page, Sections & Sidebar

Home Forums Support Static Page, Sections & Sidebar

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian

Hi,

Thanks so much for the amazing theme–it truly is a pleasure to work with, and I left you a glowing review on WP.org.

I’m building out my site (up waaay too late!). Here is the structure:

* Static Page
    * Using Sections
    * Slider Added to first section
    * Second section has a text block
    * Third section is displaying a “display posts” plugin.

It all actually works just fine. However, I’d love to display a sidebar in the open white space you see. I do have the page settings set to display content/sidebar. However, the sidebar doesn’t seem to want to display when I’m using sections. Is there a way to do this?

My second question has to do with margin. I have the theme set so it is 960px “boxed” layout. How would I add some space at the top and bottom of the theme (above the header & below the footer)?

Thanks again for the amazing theme. This is actually fun!

Brian

Hi,

Ahhh, ok. After digging deeper into the forum, I found that a page with sections cannot contain sidebars at the current time. It would be great if the sidebar could just be pushed down if a section is used.

I know I can ditch the sections on the page, shrink the size of the slider and have the sidebar (tested that, and it worked).

However, when I pasted the shortcode for the “display posts” plugin & I couldn’t get any space between the bottom of the slider and top of the blog posts displayed (I tried all the spacing adjustments, so I’m assuming the display posts plugin in the culprit). Anyway, I ditched this option because of the layout difficulty.

If you have any ideas on how I can use recent posts as my home page AND display a slider on that page, I’m all ears. = )

Thanks,
    Brian

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Brian,

Glad you’re enjoying the theme, and thanks so much for the review!

Showing a sidebar with sections is tough. In this particular case since you’re using the boxed layout it would work, but in most cases using the fluid layout it wouldn’t.

Looking at your site, I don’t see any big reason why the page needs to use Sections.

Instead, I would add that slider using the “Page Header” add-on, and then use a regular page to display the content and sidebar. Any reason why that won’t work for you?

To display a margin on top and bottom of your site, you can do this:

.site-header {
        margin-top: 30px;
    }

.site-footer {
        margin-bottom: 30px;
    }

Adding CSS: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-css/

Adjust the px values as necessary ๐Ÿ™‚

Brian

Hey, Tom–thanks for the reply! I am messing around with the various ways of setting this up and by putting the slider shortcode in the Home Page’s “Page Header >> Content area”, I’m able to have the slider, some content below, recent blog posts and a sidebar. Not too shabby!

However, that leads to a few other questions:

* When I tried to place the slider code in Appearances >> Blog Page Header (in order to maybe have the same slider appear on all posts), it doesn’t display. Is there a setting I’m missing here?

* In the customizer (under Blog >>> Post Image), I’ve tried to both hide the image on the single blog post, as well as adjust the size and neither setting has any effect. I’ve tried this with having a featured image set, as well as the image being inserted into the content and inserted through a post’s Page Header >> Image. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your reply. Cheers!

Brian

Brian

Hi,

I’ve found that if I turn on “Hard Crop”, I can change the dimensions for a post’s Header Image, but there is till no effect when using the universal image size in Customizing > Blog > Post Image.

Brian

Brian

Hi,

Ok, I seem to be doing well just talking to myself, here, lol! I just discovered that the Blog >>Post Image affects the category page that has all the posts for a particular category.

I can easily adjust the images (or hide them) as intended, and when I want to do the same on the individual blog post, insert the the image in the header, and use hard crop.

Hopefully, my rambling on here will help someone else down the line. =)

Again, just an amazing, amazing theme–and I’ve worked with hundreds over the years.

Have a great week,
    Brian

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Brian,

Glad you got it all sorted! Thanks for posting your solutions here ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.