[Resolved] Start Render Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Start Render Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support Start Render Generate Press Theme

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Martin

Hi guys,

First of all please take this request serious despite the already good overall page speed! First contentful paint is very important as it gives the eyes something to do.

I use Generate Press and have the problem that a lot of stuff is loaded before the start of the rendering process.
    I have critical CSS inlined in the html so I can’t understand why there is no paint early. Javascript is also async.
    Right now there is a relatively long gap between the end of the html reading process and the start of the render process.

Don’t get me wrong, the site is already very fast but (a major but!) the difference between first contentful paint and largest contentful paint is almost non existent. This gives the site a very unresponsive feel. You click and then the whole site pops up.

Can you please explain what generate press needs to have loaded before rendering can start? I need to be able to better understand this.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Browsers download chuncks of HTML, once they have ‘some chunks’ they begin parsing the HTML to commence the construction processes ( DOM Tree > CSSOM Tree > Render Tree ) once thats complete they begin the render operations ( Layout > Paint > Composition ). It’s only at the composition stage does it start painting pixels on the screen.

As your HTML file is only 27kb compressed ( Home page on your site ), the browser will have easily downloaded all of that before it completes the first rendered layer to be displayed.

What does the Theme do that affects this ? Not a lot really – its code super lightweight so its functions are highly performant so it won’t cause a slow queries on the server and the HTML IT IS responsible for is a tiny fraction in comparison to your content and the CSS/JS it requires is also a tiny fraction of what your site requires.

Hope that helps

Martin

Generate Press is super fast! I just need to wrap my head around that First Conentful Paint issue. After your post I looked deeper into it and my DOM is quite large so maybe that’s where I have to dig a little deeper.

As Cookie plugins are mandatory and slow down sites across the globe it could be in your interest to build that into GP.

Best regards
    Martin

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You may want to switch out the Cookie Plugin… we have seen quite a few users switch to Complianz and have had good results:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/complianz-gdpr/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.