[Resolved] Some Posts Show Full Content Instead of Excerpt in Archive Pages

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Some Posts Show Full Content Instead of Excerpt in Archive Pages

Home Forums Support Some Posts Show Full Content Instead of Excerpt in Archive Pages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vr51

I have one site that has some of its posts that display the full post content instead of the post excerpt in archive pages and in the blog page.

I know why this happens. I have no idea how it happens. I have a stopgap fix for the issue. The issue affects not all posts but only occasional odd posts.

The site is set to display the excerpt in archive pages. Posts that show the full content instead of the excerpt seem to display in the archive pages by way of the_content() instead of the_excerpt().

I have looked in the site’s database to see whether some value triggers the affected posts into using the_content instead of the_excerpt. I have spotted no triggers.

I have looked at the affected posts to ensure there are no shortcodes or tags that might prevent the use of the_excerpt. I cannot see any code in the posts or any settings in the posts that might force use of the_content instead of the_excerpt.

I’ve been through the settings in WordPress, the plugins and the theme many times and everything looks to be in order.

I’ve checked functions.php to see whether I’ve added some long forgotten code that might cause this. The only code added is there to rewrite text strings and it isn’t the cause of the issue.

I tried to filter the excerpt length with code in functions.php but this didn’t help force these odd posts to show the excerpt instead of the full content.

I know I must have overlooked something.

The solution I’ve found is to use the Advanced Excerpt plugin with it set to filter the_content() and not the_excerpt(). Set like this the unaffected posts continue to display normally as per the configuration of GeneratePress; the only posts filtered by Advanced Excerpt are the odd ones that were displaying the_content instead of the_excerpt.

Playing with Advanced Excerpts settings is the only reason I know the archive pages show the_content() instead of the_excerpt() for these odd few posts.

I have no idea whether this is caused by a bug in GeneratePress or caused by something I’ve overlooked in the affected posts. I’m posting this experience here in case it helps anyone else solve a similar issue and perhaps it highlights a possible bug in GP.

The plugin can be found at https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hey there,

Could you take a look at this article and make sure this is not the issue?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/excerpt-issues/#full-post-content-displaying-while-using-excerpt

If this doesn’t work, can you please provide your website link in the private info field and keep all the plugins disabled except GP premium?

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

vr51

Thank you, Ying. The post format for all posts is set to Standard. I checked this having been bitten by it before in other sites. However, the code snippet to enable the excerpt for all post formats that is shown at the page you linked does solve the issue. I will mark this support request resolved but think there must be something else going on too.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚
    Let us know if you need another look!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.