Celebrating 7 Years! Get up to $30 off GeneratePress Premium!

[Support request] slideout menu – thoughts on

Home Forums Support [Support request] slideout menu – thoughts on

Home Forums Support slideout menu – thoughts on

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dasigna

hi guys,

after updating the first client page to GP 1.6 (which is great overall btw) that has a slideout menu i got some feedback immediately… because the appearance didnt fit the clients taste.
    first complaint was the button outside the slideout, second the overlay.
    not that much trouble to quickly get it back to how it was mainly and calm down the client. but this did cause some thoughts on my side:

1. i have to admit, the button besides the navigation isnt the first choice for me too. would rather like to see it within the navigation above (likely how i did it for given url). first of all this gives a better look (at least to me…) and would indicate the belonging to the nav way better ๐Ÿ™‚
    so really would like to have an option to get the closing button into the slideout nav – and also appearing as a button, which i havent yet fully achieved the way i want it to be.

2. its great to have the option for the slideout on the right side via customizer. but as a little downside, the box-shadow doesnt seem to follow to the left when slideout is set to the right (or i might have been overlooking sth?)

3. the width of the slideout seems to be set to a fixed width… encountered some issue when i tried to increase the font-size and for long words as nav items they nearly exceeded the given space. fixing this by custom code seems a little harder than before – so any chance to keep the left and right padding automatically according to the longest word within the nav?
    another little issue i encountered by that: when playing around with the font-size in customizer (for slideout nav) and achieving to reset to native size, the nav items are gone because the fontsize is returned as 0px in that case. only for desktop though, for mobile it works as expected.

so dont mind my ‘complaints’. i like the new slideout, but i think a little bit more (fine-) tuning might be worth it – or at least a little more options in customizer.

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for the feedback!

1. We toyed with this, but couldn’t come up with a design we were happy with. It may change one day.

2. Ah, there actually shouldn’t even be any box-shadow by default, as the overlay color makes it impossible to see. Fixed in the next version.

3. The previous slideout also used a fixed width. When it comes to really long items, you need to do something like this:

.slideout-navigation li.long-item a {
        line-height: normal;
        word-wrap: break-word;
    }
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.