[Support request] Show author page even if there are no posts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Show author page even if there are no posts

Home Forums Support Show author page even if there are no posts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sara

GeneratePress does not seem to show the author page if the author has no posts (I get a ‘nothing found’ message). How can I change that so all my authors have a page even if they haven’t written anything yet?

Thanks in advance!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you will probably to create a custom author template, as GP only lists authors as an archive. This is a good article for creating the template:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-add-a-custom-author-profile-page-to-your-wordpress/

Sara

Ok, sounds good.

Where can I find the current code that displays the author’s name and bio so I can copy it into the author template? It doesn’t seem to be in archive.php.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

In the wpbeginner article scroll down to “Method 2. Manually Create a Custom Author Profile Page in Your Theme” – they provide all that good stuff ๐Ÿ™‚ Let us know if you need some specific that they dont provide.

Sara

I saw that, but I really like the layout that I’ve got right now (the general archives layout) and would like to duplicate it for the custom author page (which would be easier if I could just copy that code). But if that’s not possible I will figure it out myself. Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This function is responsible for that section: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/2.4.2/inc/structure/archives.php#L19-L52

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Sara

This is perfect. Thanks so much Tom (and also David!)

One last question, if I create an author.php page do I need to do it in a child theme? Or is it ok to create it within the GeneratePress theme?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It needs to go in a Child Theme.

Sara

Got it. Thanks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.