[Resolved] should I always re-activate child theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] should I always re-activate child theme

Home Forums Support should I always re-activate child theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kvejonsio

Hello Everyone

First of all I’d like to thank for this amazing theme, I’m building my first website and I never thought that it can be so easy, but with GP theme especially with Premium it is.
    but I have one question, I have created child theme and I’m doing all changes within the files of it, everything works till now, but if I put a widget somewhere in the child theme I see it on preview page but not on the website itself until I will not reactivate the theme.

should it be so or am I missing something?

apologies for my English

Regards MK

Adrian Cojocariu

Hey man, make sure your child theme is called generatepress-child and that you are updated to the latest version of GP and GP premium plugin.

kvejonsio

Adrian thanks for your response.
    child theme is called generatepress-child. I have not downloaded GP theme apart, I have downloaded GP premium plugin and activated it, its version is 1.2.69. themes version, which appeared after plugin activation is 1.3.12. should I download GP theme anyway or theme which comes with plugin is enough?
    Regards MK

Adrian Cojocariu

I did not know that the plugin installs a theme.

When I do a fresh WP install I always download the free GP first, then install GP Premium, activate all features, activate email and then install child theme.

Check out your Appearance – Themes menu, you should have a list of themes, both Generatepress and Generatepress Child should be there.

mapsarska

Child must be loaded from zip file, never heard of plugin loading theme hmmmm….

kvejonsio

I have created child theme myself, plugin have installed parent theme, I think, because, I have deactivated GP premium plugin, then I went Appearance – Themes and both parent and the child are there, than just in case I have done the next Appearance–Themes-Add New-in search bar I wrote generatepress and it shows that the theme is already installed

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

How are you adding widgets to the theme? In the Customizer?

Was when you add the widgets in the Customizer, the preview works – great.

However, when you see the live website, the widgets aren’t there?

Do you have any caching plugins installed? If so, try clearing the cache.

Let me know 🙂

kvejonsio

Hello Tom

first of all I’d like to thank you for your response and amazing theme
    now what do I have and what I have done
    I have baby plan from hostgator, the domain is registered to another provider, for connection with hostgator I changed my host file and wrote there ip and site name and installed wordpress from quickinstall(further I haven’t done any changes there) and of course I have installed GP Premium.
    In preview I can see all changes but in live website partially. e.g from Customizer I have changed Base Colors -> Background Color and it appeared on all pages, then I also have changed Site tagline and the changes appears only on some pages (in preview I can see all changes)
    then I drag button widget from widgets area in to the footer widget 3, I checked result, then I changed Copyright from appearance -> Generatepress. in both cases I had same result, until I re-activate the theme changes was shown partially, thus on some pages, after reactivating all changes was applied. plugins which I have installed and are activated are GP Premium, Black Studio TinyMCE Widget, Contact Form 7, Meta Slider, Page Builder by SiteOrigin, SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle, Testimonial Basics, Title Remover, there are other plugins, but they are/was not active. and I checked everything from two different machine with different operating system.

Regards MK

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The only thing that would explain changes not showing up on the live site would be caching.

When you close your browser and go back into the Customizer, are your changes still saved? Or have they reverted back to the default?

kvejonsio

Hello Tom
    all changes are always saved but all changes are shown partially, changes which I make via child theme css are showing directly and everywhere. I also think that it could be caching, but I can’t understand where, on my machines I cleaned up everything manually and also with programs which should clean cache too. could it be on hostgator or could it be built in wordpress future?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I don’t think Hostgator has built in hosting.

I’m not too sure what’s happening.

When you go into your Customizer right now and look at the settings, does the live site reflect them? Or are there settings that are set that aren’t showing up?

kvejonsio

Hi tom
    I can, if you’d like to and if you have some time of course, add an admin-user to my wordpress and send details to you on your email, I think it’s will be better if you look on it your self, add some widgets, change topography etc. I’m also thinking that it may be due to caching, but I cannot understand on which side. I hope that there is not another reason.

Regards MK

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sure, you can send me admin access to support@generatepress.com.

Thanks!

kvejonsio

email has been sent

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you give it a try now?

It looks like WP Super Cache was enabled, then you deactivated it. However, WP Super Cache keeps the cache file running even if the plugin is deactivated if it was still enabled when deactivated.

I re-activated it, dumped the cache and disabled it, then deactivated it.

Let me know if this fixes it or not 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.