[Support request] Setting up an individual sticky menu on main pages and their relevant posts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Setting up an individual sticky menu on main pages and their relevant posts

Home Forums Support Setting up an individual sticky menu on main pages and their relevant posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    robchanoi

Tring to set up an individual sticky menu on main pages and their relevant posts.
    Came across this – generatepress-guides.com/2020/10/07/how-to-create-sticky-blocks-in-the-generatepress-sidebar/
    but I’m not quite following the instructions.
    Wld like it to look smt like lelo’s categories menu on right side, but in this case left side and open not closed although on money pages closed probably better if such an option is possible – if too extreme no problem :/
    lelo.com/sona-2-cruise

Might be a holiday your end so whenevers great – cheers

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Robchanoi,

The categories menu in the reference link you provided would need a custom JS to achieve. Specifically, from the menu appearing once the categories “button” is selected.

This customization would be out of our scope of support.

The concept would be similar to something like this: https://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_display_js

If it’s a just the menu without the button, we can do it through Creating a Block Element with a Container Block with Headline Blocks within it designed appropriately, then we can provide CSS to make it fixed to the right.

Alternatively, if you’re not using the off-canvas menu for anything else, we can use that instead I believe.

Hope this clarifies!

robchanoi

Thanks Fernando.

These floating bespoke menus would have quite a few links relating to their field which I wouldnt want appearing in the current top nav menu if thats what wld happen – not fully sure how this wld work if u cld clarify pls.

Alternatively, Creating a Block Element with a Container Block with Headline Blocks sounds good. So this wld be a block element that could be assigned where i choose or wld have to be built into posts?

Tks

Fernando
    Customer Support

Basically, with just a Block Element and custom CSS, we can make a menu appear at the side, however, it would always be appearing.

You would need custom JS to achieve the hide and show effect of the menu.

If you’re not using the Off Canvas Menu, we can also use that, however, if you’re planning to add this in the website we we were tackling in the other topic, you’ve already used the off canvas menu there.

You can also explore third party plugins which may offer such a functionality: https://bashooka.com/cms/off-canvas-navigation-menu-wordpress-plugins/

Hope this clarifies!

robchanoi

Ok, thank you, if we cld run with the Block Element and custom CSS that wld be good.
    Do I set element type to “left sidebar”?

Thanks

Fernando
    Customer Support

You can set it to Hook, then hook it to before_header then we’ll use CSS to move it.

robchanoi

Thanks – if its a series of topic related links one headline block is fine?

i.e

how to this
    how to that

Fernando
    Customer Support

It might be better to use different Headline Blocks for ease of modification.

You may also use a WP Post Navigation Block though we’ll need custom CSS to alter the look of this.

Hope this clarifies!

robchanoi

Ok thanks – I have built a demo menu – do you need anything more from me?

robchanoi

350 w x 700 h fyi
    All posts are centred at 650 w

Fernando
    Customer Support

Can you share the link to where I can see the menu?

You may use the private information field for this: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-premium-support-forum/#private-information

Hope to hear from you soon!

robchanoi

Link below

robchanoi

Thank you

Fernando
    Customer Support

Great!

Can you add my-side-menu class to the classes of the Container Block?

Example: https://share.getcloudapp.com/bLuBJz64

Then set the Display Rule Location.

Then, add this CSS in Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS:

.gb-container.my-side-menu {
        position: fixed;
        top: 50%;
        transform: translateY(-50%);
        right: 0;
    }

Kindly let us know how it goes.

robchanoi

Thanks – have added css to add css and my-side-menu to the class of the Container Block.

I should put headline in a container inside menu container? Have placed my-side-menu in menu container.

I also cant locate – layout – default in the bottom left of your pic.

Tks if u could advise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.