Cyber Week Sale! Get $20 off GP Premium, $40 off our new Lifetime license, and 45% off license renewals/extensions! Learn more

[Resolved] Sections gone after copy to staging area

Home Forums Support Sections gone after copy to staging area

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    blackbird

Hi, we use web hotel WP Engine and they have a staging area, you can “copy” your live site very easy to the staging site for testing and maintenance (and then back again to live). But after I “copy” live site to staging all Sections (and their content) are totally gone in the staging area. It is just empty. Is there something I can do about it or does it not work to copy sections? Everything else was copied fine.
    Using latest version of everything, and also a childtheme (but no bigger changes there).

GeneratePress 2.0.1
    GP Premium 1.5.6
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This can happen if the URL is searched/replaced in the database manually. I’m surprised that WP Engine doesn’t have a better system for search/replace, as doing it like that will delete serialized options like Sections.

Instead, a plugin like this should be used to replace the URL throughout the site: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

That plugins takes serialized options into account.

blackbird

Okey, I will ask them about it and hope for a solution. I get back to you tomorrow.

blackbird

I get back right away: There is a solution, to use their new “Deploy site tool”. It is so new I haven´t tested it, but I guess I will have to. Problem “solved”. Thank you for answering!

WP Engine:
    “our copy tool from live to staging (vice versa) isn’t build to copy over serialized data. The workaround would be to not use the staging environment but use our deploy site tool. The deploy site tool allows you to copy content from one install to another and will copy over serialized data.”

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, thank you for sharing! I’m sure it will be helpful to others 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.