[Support request] Saving issues when creating Reusable Blocks using GenerateBlocks

Home Forums Support [Support request] Saving issues when creating Reusable Blocks using GenerateBlocks

Home Forums Support Saving issues when creating Reusable Blocks using GenerateBlocks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Fabien

Hi,

It seems to be saving (changes) issue when you create Reusable Blocks using GenerateBlocks inside.

Hard to detail here, please check the video enclosed.

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if i understand correctly – the Title Tag is not updating when there a Reusable Block containing a GB Block is saved in the post.

In your example the GB Block contains a shortcode – does the issue occur if there is NO shortcode in the block?

Fabien

Hi David,

It’s not only the title tag that is not updating (I’ve used this as an example). It seems it impacts meta data (like Yoast and so on).

Yes the issue also happens when there is no shortcode on the block.

What is weird is the “update” button on the top right. When I add other (not containing GB blocks) reusable blocks, it remains “update”. When I add the reusable block created with some GenerateBlocks it changes to “update …”

Also, something I’ve noticed, the issue doesn’t happen when there is only 1 reusable block on the page (using GenerateBlocks or not).

Did you try to reproduce the issue ?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m able to reproduce this when adding the same re-usable block more than once to a page.

I have a feeling it has to do with the unique ID being generated. I’ll have to dig into this further as the error codes being output aren’t very helpful.

Thanks for the heads up!

Fabien

Thanks Tom !

Let me know if you find / fix something.

Have a good day,

Fabien

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I do believe I have this fixed – it will be in GB 1.4.0. Thank you! 🙂

Fabien

Awesome ! Thanks you too for the quick fix

Scott

Hello Tom – When will GenerateBlocks 1.4.0 be available? I checked the plugin repository and it is still showing 1.3.3

I am having this same issue and would like to download the fix. I use reusable blocks as content templates and it’s slowing me down a little….

THANKS!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It’s close to public alpha testing time, just a few more things to add and test. Sorry for the delay!

Fabien

Hi Tom, has this been fixed ?

Thanks a lot !

Fabien

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Kirsty

This is still occurring for me in GenerateBlocks 1.3.5. The entire page is Reusable content (it’s like this because the admin editor page took way to long to load otherwise), and when I edit SEO meta tags (Yoast plugin) they don’t save. I work around this by changing the page title to force the save but this doesn’t always work and it’s very annoying for making quick adjustments. Is this a GenerateBlocks issue or is it WordPress?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, this fix didn’t make it into 1.3.5, as it required rebuilding how we generate unique IDs.

It’s still in 1.4.0, which we’re getting close to completing.

Nitin

[new to generatepress]
    I created reusable block from one testimonial (imported site home page had testimonials). I tried using this reusable block on different page, did it once. Worked. Tried using it second time on same page, firefox window hangs. browser window freezes.

I have few questions :
    1) I copied HTML of this block, changed Unique ID , just random change of some digit, tried using it multiple times on a page. It dint work. what are these unique ids? Are they registered somewhere?

2) I tried creating reusable block of testimonial which had icon, heading, paragraph, small photo etc… When I create reusable block, everything is saved in block – format + content. Is that right way to create & use reusable block. So when it comes time to use this block, I will add it, and modify text, image etc.. Is that correct way?

3) In past I have used theme which come with custom builder. My website is full of custom builder code for smallest thing, it adds so much lines. 10-15 lines to wrap one headline or icon etc.. While using generateblock I am seeing similar chunk of <!– wp:generateblocks code. Please correct how is this different from other builders which spit out so many lines for every little option.

4) When will this reuable block multiple times usage on a page ( Unqiue id issue) get fixed? is there any alternative/work around?

Thanks you

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Using the same reusable block multiple times on a page does cause an issue right now. It’s fixed in 1.4.0 which is currently in beta: https://generateblocks.com/generateblocks-1-4-0/

1. Unique Ids are what the CSS uses to target specific blocks. They should update themselves if they detect a block on the same page has the same ID. They’re stored in the attributes of each individual block.

2. A reusable block will share its content, so if you create one and add it to 10 pages and then update the content in that reusable block, the content will change/update on all 10 pages.

3. This is how WordPress stores the attributes for its blocks. You won’t see this code on the frontend of your website – it’s only in the editor/database.

4. Fixed in GB 1.4.0

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.