[Resolved] Replacing Excerpt With A Custom Paragraph

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Replacing Excerpt With A Custom Paragraph

Home Forums Support Replacing Excerpt With A Custom Paragraph

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michelle

Is it possible to add a custom paragraph through Elements and Block Hooks that replaces the excerpt? I am frustrated by the lack of styling control in excerpts. I would like to be able to add paragraph breaks, or links…

OR–maybe there is a work around to achieve what I want. Here are two links to show you what I’m after (attached)

This site will be turned into an app, in case you’re wondering about the odd style choices for a website.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Michelle,

I don’t understand what you are trying to achieve at all.

I read the single post (good morning), but still don’t get it.

Can you explain a bit more?

Michelle

Problem:
    Excerpts strip all formatting (html and spacing).

What I’d like:
    I’d like to replace excerpts with something that gives me more control over how the excerpts look: paragraph breaks, maybe links, etc.

An ideal solution:
    Replacing excerpts with an “introductory paragraph” (like the one I created with Elements and Block-Hooks that sits between my title and content on Single Post pages)

What I’m trying to achieve and why:
    I want to post only once daily, with several articles contained in that one post. (Posting each article separately would mean there would be several posts a day.) This is a “once-daily” posting app. I need to be able to show what the post contains for people to want to “Read More”. Excerpts provides an awkward, format-less way to do this.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Michelle,

If that’s the case, you may want to utilize a WordPress core More block: https://share.getcloudapp.com/JruO86YQ

Using this would result to something like this: https://share.getcloudapp.com/o0uRX8lR

As shown, the content of the Post up to the More Block is shown.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know how it goes 🙂

Michelle

I am trying to understand what this is…

Michelle

What a useful thing! Thank you.

Fernando
    Customer Support

You’re welcome Michelle! Feel free to reach out anytime you’ll need assistance with anything else. 🙂

Michelle

Revisiting this, if you don’t mind… 🙂

Since the “More” block doesn’t work on my home page, with, or without WP Show Posts Pro, nor with posts set to full instead of excerpts, I used Advanced Custom Fields with Block-Hook and Elements to create “My Custom Excerpt”. I was able to put the hook into generate_after_entry_header (couldn’t figure out how to get it beneath my featured image, but that’s okay, I kind of like it under meta), but still couldn’t get it to show on the home page. It only shows up on Single Post Pages.

So close, and yet still not there.

Any ideas?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

It won’t work, as the content of WP show posts doesn’t have entry header, only the default blog/archive posts have this hook.

The better way would be using the default posts/blog page as your homepage.

Michelle

I deactivated WP Show Posts Pro, deleted the shortcode off of the Homepage, set post page as Home, and saved. It didn’t change it. Is there a way to hard code this in?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Change your element location to front page.

Michelle

That did the trick! EXACTLY. [Backflips and fireworks]

Thanks!

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

You are welcome 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.