[Resolved] Removing default "Archives" widget and centering the container.

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Removing default "Archives" widget and centering the container.

Home Forums Support Removing default "Archives" widget and centering the container.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike

Hello, I have two questions

1) WordPress automatically inserts an “Archives” widget if you have no widgets in a sidebar. How can I remove this? The reason why I am asking is because I serve ads in the right sidebar (Mediavine) but this is not done through a widget. I don’t want any widgets in the sidebar but I do need a sidebar for the ads. I guess I can look for a useful widgets to place there, but that’s an issue I want to visit later.

2) How can I center my container? The theme is centering both the container and the sidebar, but I want to center just the container. The reason why I want to do this is so that if users have ads disabled they won’t be looking at content that is off centered.

Thank you!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there

1. This doc explains how to remove the default sidebar widgets.

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_show_default_sidebar_widgets

2. Try adding this CSS to compliment your existing sidebar CSS:

@media (min-width: 1024px) {
        .content-area.grid-75 {
            width:calc(100% - 600px);
            margin-left: 300px
        }
    }

You will want to tweak the min-width to suit your needs.

Mike

Thanks David, second solution worked perfectly. As for the first, is that line of code written in PHP? Where exactly do I add it and can I do so directly through WordPress?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Mike

Thank you!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.