[Support request] Removal of Blogging Section

Home Forums Support [Support request] Removal of Blogging Section

Home Forums Support Removal of Blogging Section

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason

I’m setting up my new site which will be a simple home page with different element content boxes. As I will not be blogging at all, how do I remove the blogging section altogether?

Thanks – Jason.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Jason,

As I will not be blogging at all, how do I remove the blogging section altogether?

If you are no longer need the blog section, you can remove all the posts, and all the plugins that are related to blog.

And you can deactivate the Blog module at appearance > GeneratePress.

Jason

Thanks Ying.

I haven’t written any POSTS although I have two draft PAGES saved – not yet published. I will need to link the PAGES but will not be writing any POSTS. Will this impact your suggestion? I’ve turned off the Blog section in appearances > GP but it is still showing on my home page.

Any other suggestions?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I believe the Readings settings from WordPress is what you are looking for:
    https://wordpress.org/support/article/settings-reading-screen/

Jason

Thanks Leo.

I have one PAGE already setup and have published that already – my Privacy Page. Otherwise, I’ve created my Home Page using the GP Element Blocks. How do I go about setting that as a PAGE (if this is possible) so I can select it from the Setting > Reading > Static Page options and have as the Home Page? My main goal is to totally remove the Blogging Section altogether as this is a basic informational site only so I will not be blogging. Does this make sense?

The Not Found Section at the bottom of this page is what I am referring to https://aquariumriskconsulting.com/

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

so I can select it from the Setting > Reading > Static Page options and have as the Home Page

YES.

My main goal is to totally remove the Blogging Section altogether

Blogging is the foundation of WordPress, even you don’t publish any posts, the post post type will still be there. You might need a plugin to completely remove the blog section. https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/disable-blog/

The Not Found Section at the bottom of this page is what I am referring to

You need to assign a page as front page at settings > reading. It’s currently still using the latest posts (blog) as front page.

And instead of using block element to insert content to the home page, it’s better to build an actual page.

Jason

Thanks Ying, getting there slowly but surely.

I’m in essence starting all over again and building a PAGE itself and will then assign it as the Homepage.

Under Settings > Reading > Static Page, I’ve selected my now new Home Page as ‘Homepage’ and then created a Blank page as ‘Posts Page’. This however includes a ‘Blank’ page under the navigation bar at the top of the Homepage. Is there a way of creating the secondary page under the Static Page Reading area so it does not appear on the Homepage at all? Do I need to rename it something different perhaps?

My 2nd question is how do I make the new Homepage stretch to fit the entire width of the Homepage? I could do it under the Elements section previously but not sure how to do it under Pages.

Thanks again – Jason.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Jason,

Under Settings > Reading > Static Page, I’ve selected my now new Home Page as ‘Homepage’ and then created a Blank page as ‘Posts Page’.

You won’t have to create a blank page as the “posts page”.

On the Settings > Reading, you can just keep the “Posts page” dropdown to -- Select -- so your site doesn’t have a blog index page.

This however includes a ‘Blank’ page under the navigation bar at the top of the Homepage.

Go to Appearance > Menus and create a menu (if you don’t have one yet) or edit an existing menu to remove the “Blank” from the menu items.

My 2nd question is how do I make the new Homepage stretch to fit the entire width of the Homepage? I could do it under the Elements section previously but not sure how to do it under Pages.

Create a Layout element w/ a display rule location set to “Front Page”.

You then set the Content tab’s content area to “Full-width (no padding)”.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-element-overview/#content-1

Jason

Thanks Elvin.

The first item – got it. Left it as (Select) and it worked fine. I read somewhere that there needed to be 2 pages selected hence the confusion. Good now though.

On the 2nd item – I’ve done as you have said but no joy. Under the Elements area > Display Rule as Front Page > I created an empty container so the menu on the right appeared and then set both the inner and outer containers to full width.

Am I missing something?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

On the 2nd item – I’ve done as you have said but no joy. Under the Elements area > Display Rule as Front Page > I created an empty container so the menu on the right appeared and then set both the inner and outer containers to full width.

I may be missing the context of what specifically this is for.

Can you provide a screenshot of this? To be sure I’m looking at the correct part of the site.

And perhaps a link to the exact page as well incase your site uses different menus for different pages.

Let us know. 😀

Jason

Not sure if I’m getting this right either. This is the link to the WP Page but its under Admin so I assume you can not access it?

https://aquariumriskconsulting.com/

How do I attach screenshots in this dialogue box?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

How do I attach screenshots in this dialogue box?

You can share screenshots through our recommendations here – https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-premium-support-forum/#uploading-screenshots

As for the menu links, you’ll have to make one manually to be sure nothing unwanted appears.

There wouldn’t be an “Admin/Login/Register” link on the menu if the menu assigned on Appearance > Menus didn’t have one. Unless you don’t have one created and the menu is automatically generated. 🙂

Jason

Thanks Elvin although I’m not quite clear here.

Perhaps I can create a Temp Admin User I.D for you so you can take a quick look? If so I’ll need your email address?

The challenges that I am currently trying to solve:

(1) Stretching the now Static Page (Homepage) to be the full width of the screen.
    (2) Removing the Topic Heading Section on the Pages itself.
    (3) For some reason, the small Contacts section at the bottom of my Homepage PAGE, is dropping off the phone number. I’ve typed it in and it doesn’t show on the published page. I’ve tried doing it in a grid, container, as a paragraph etc. Not sure what’s going on here. This is the site https://aquariumriskconsulting.com/

Let me know re: Admin access Elvin and I await your further feedback.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.