[Resolved] Related Posts – Thumbnails

Home Forums Support Related Posts – Thumbnails

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    93487u5tr938ouh4trnos8fyoh

Hi,

I like simple and clean code themes, but in that case I found that thumbnails of the related posts in the demos are done via plugins.

When you install that extra plugin, it has additional code and I suppose it will clutter and bloat things that way.

Is there a way to add thumbnails to the theme’s related posts itself, do you plan something like that? Can I achieve it with some simple code as opposed to using plugins?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Features like related posts are best be handled by a plugin.

When you install that extra plugin, it has additional code and I suppose it will clutter and bloat things that way.

Not necessarily. Code is code so doesn’t matter if we add it or the plugin adds it, it’s still code.

I would recommend looking for a well supported plugin with good reviews 🙂

Not sure if this one works for you or not but I’ve used it before and quite like it:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/recent-posts-widget-extended/

Let me know if this helps 🙂

I saw that, but I was looking for the related posts below the post.

The ones right now from your theme are without thumbnails, I think it makes total sense to add that to the theme as a basic functionality.

I see the demos that you provide use:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/recent-posts-widget-with-thumbnails/

Every extra plugin means more requests, more code, more bloat and potential security risks + they always want to prioritize their stuff, which sometimes breaks things, while if you are theme developer you can build things in harmony.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the Related Posts widgets is a core WP widget not GP – we don’t add any theme specific widgets as this would be lost if users decided to switch themes.

The overhead of additional plugins can be a concern but as Leo said, Code is code, so choosing a well supported and lightweight plugin to do the trick is the best thing.

Thanks will check, I was used to having related posts handled by themes and as I saw you have them but text only I was thinking thumbnails could be a good idea. Anyway, will check some plugin.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Adrián

I’m new, I just bought the theme and I’m a little disappointed that it doesn’t have related posts :-(. So far all the themes I’ve used have it, and I don’t want to install a plugin for that.

Will you add this feature in future updates?

thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the Related Posts widget is a WordPress core widget. GeneratePress does not interfere with the way core widgets work and it does not add its own widgets.

We find that plugins are best served to provide these type of user specific needs.
    Not everyone requires that feature or may require something more advanced, which would lead to redundant code if we chose to add them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.