[Resolved] Read More link/button doesn’t appear in Latest Posts block on page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Read More link/button doesn’t appear in Latest Posts block on page

Home Forums Support Read More link/button doesn’t appear in Latest Posts block on page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi Team,
    I’m trying to use the Latest Posts block on a page but I’m having trouble getting the Read More link to appear when I’m using the Read More block in a post.
    The link appears when the post is truncated by the maximum words limit but not when I’m trying to manually control where the except ends. It also doesn’t appear when using a manual excerpt but I’d like to avoid that anywhere where possible.

I’ll add a link to the site in the private information.

The posts in the ‘Media Comment’ is restricted to 20 words and the read more button does appear, the posts in the ORC & Election column aren’t limited by word count but the post does have the Read More block after the first paragraph and the button does not appear. I’d like to see the Read More button/link in this case well if possible.

Any way to achieve this?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Michael,

How exactly are you limiting the excerpt? Is it through the Customizer or custom code?

With regards to the read more not appearing when you have custom excerpts, this is the default behavior by WordPress. You’ll need a PHP snippet to re-add read more.

Reference: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/activating-read-custom-excerpt/

Adding PHP reference: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/#code-snippets

Michael

Hi Fernando, thanks for the reply.

I’m trying to use the Read More block in the editor to control where the post is excerpted, it seems like this is intended to create a Read More link but that’s what’s not working for me.

Fernando
    Customer Support

I see.

The WP latest block follows the excerpt words set in its settings. It doesn’t follow the More Block or the custom excerpt if it’s set.

The More Block only works for archive pages by default.

Michael

Ok thanks for clarifying, that explains it now.

I think I’ve got something working now using the Query Loop to pull in the posts instead where I’m able to add my own Read More link in that repeating loop.

Thanks for have a look and for the info!

Fernando
    Customer Support

You’re welcome Michael!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.