Proportional Featured Image Size

Home Forums Support Proportional Featured Image Size

Home Forums Support Proportional Featured Image Size

• This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David

Does Generate Press cause Featured Images to only be squared (150 x 150 etc) and not proportional? Does it ignore the WordPress Media Settings for Image Sizes?

I ask because I am using an eCommerce plugin (MarketPress) that uses the Featured Image for displaying products. I’m selling books (walmartatlas.com) but product images only appear squared and not proportional (compare with product images on my other site, travelbooksusa.com, which does not use Generate Press). Is there something I am missing?

Please advise.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi David,

GP shouldn’t make any changes to featured images.

Are there any settings in MarketPress that allow you to set thumbnail sizes?

If you go to “Settings > Media” – you’ll see a checkbox asking if you want to crop the thumbnails to exact dimensions instead of using proportional cropping – see if that option fixes anything for you.

Let me know πŸ™‚

David

Thank you for the response. My apologies for not including more detailed information in my initial post; it was my intent but I failed to do so.

The “Crop thumbnail to exact dimensions…” checkbox under Settings > Media is unchecked, which would allow for proportional thumbnails.

With regard to image settings within MarketPress, it utilizes the WP defaults or a custom setting. I’ve selected to use the WP defaults as shown in the following screen capture.

MarketPress Image Settings

I determined the problem was with the theme because I created a new product, and uploaded a product image, to both of my websites (travelbooksusa.com and walmartatlas.com). The former uses the WP Jurist theme, the latter, Generate Press.

Before posting to this support forum, I spent several hours trying to isolate the problem and searched this forum for answers. I compared MarketPress settings for both of my websites to ensure they were identical. I compared WordPress Media settings in both sites to ensure they, too, were identical. I also used the “Regenerate Thumbnails” plugin on the walmartalas.com website (a suggested solution in another thread) to see if that would work (it converted all of the existing proportional thumbnails to what is seen now, the squared 150×150 thumbnails).

The issue isn’t a huge problem as it doesn’t prevent a visitor from ordering a book. It just doesn’t allow the visitor to see the entire cover, only a squared portion of a book’s cover.

Thank you for your time and effort in supporting this wonderful theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting – are you using any other plugins or any of our add-ons?

I’ll think about this over night..

David

I purchased GP Premium and have all of the add-ons enabled. I have the following plugins installed:

• Contact Form 7
    • Google Analytics by Yoast
    • Google XML Sitemaps
    • GP Premium
    • MarketPress
    • Regenerate Thumbnails
    • Simple Custom CSS
    • Ultimate Maintenance Mode
    • WordPress Importer
    • WP-Spamshield
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you try disabling Page Header and Blog, and see if the images continue to act this way?

Those two add-ons have an image resizer which is the only thing I could think that could be causing weird thumbnails.

Let me know πŸ™‚

David

That is where the issue lies. When I disabled those two add-ons and went to edit a product, the product image appeared as I desire — the full image of the cover can be seen. I ran the Regenerate Thumbnails tool and that reset all of the images to proportional. I currently don’t use those two add-ons on the walmartatlas.com website so I will leave them disabled.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad we figured that out – I’ll look for a solution now.

David

Okay, I’ll be following this topic until it is marked as “resolved.” Thank you, again, for your assistance.

David

Any solution to this yet? Just following up. Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Our next add-on delayed the release of Premium, it’s finally ready so it will be out in the next few days (for real this time).

If you’d like to email me at support@generatepress.com, I can provide you with the necessary files to overwrite via FTP which should fix this πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

New version has been released πŸ™‚

Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.