[Resolved] Problems importing Newsroom template

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Problems importing Newsroom template

Home Forums Support Problems importing Newsroom template

• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by Ying.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Isabel perez

Hi!
    I am trying to import the Newsroom predefined template to start with my blog but it doesn’t work.
    After installing it, all the text is missing, the images don’t appear and the entire web looks disordered. I can see only the titles. I have Generate Blocks Pro so this is not the problem.

I have tried it with other predefined templates and I have the same problem (no text or images). I have gone trought the checklist (desactivate all the plugins, last versions of everything, etc) and it didn’t work.
    Very grateful for your help!

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Isabel,

Can I try to remove the site and import it again?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/removing-imported-site/

During the import process, can you try right click in your browser > inspect > console, and let us know if you see any errors?
    https://www.screencast.com/t/RBEUaeP0q0r

Let me know!

Isabel perez

Hi! Thank you for your help.
    I removed the site and imported again several times and it didn’t work. I already have done this before writing the forum. But I have tried again anyway and still not working.
    I can confirm that in inspect > console appears more than 80 errors.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Isabel,

I see. Can you try removing the site template, then disable all plugins, then re-import the site template?

Let us know how it goes.

Isabel perez

Hi Fernando. It worked! Thank you very much.

Fernando
    Customer Support

You’re welcome, Isabel!

George

I am also having a problem importing the Newsroom template content. I don’t have problems importing other templates. It’s “hanging” on “Importing content.”

I saw this error in the console window:

“Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404().”

The resource looks like: import content:1

I also saw a 2nd error message:

Uncaught (in promise)
    –> {code: ‘invalid_json’, message: ‘The response is not a valid JSON response.’}

When I go to the site, I can see that some of the content has been imported.
    https://wp-staging-9w7dfqe1pv.pairsite.com/

This is my staging site. I started with a fresh WordPress install.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi George,

When I check, your site looks normal to me.

Can you specify what content it didn’t import in case I missed something ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know!

George

Hi Ying,

Thank you for the quick response.

The quickest way to see the difference is to compare the menu bar on the site with the template. They are totally different. I started out with no pages or posts at my staging site. The import did not complete and somewhere it started going off the rails.

I thought I would post to see if this was a known issue, especially after finding this thread. If not, may be it’s something to do with my host. It’s not really worth spending time on. As I mentioned, other template imports, such as Volume, worked just fine. Volume was my 2nd choice. I may just go with it. Although, I really did like Newsroom. I did import the Newsroom options into my main site with my existing content.

I was hoping to create my staging site from scratch with the example content and then replace it with my content (just to see how things work, GenerateBlocks, etc.).

I don’t know if any of that makes sense. If you, or someone else, cannot reproduce the issue, then we can close it and I will move on to a different template.

Thanks,
    George

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi George,

To clarify, are seeing the same thing as we do?: https://share.getcloudapp.com/jkuA0PeZ

Other than the menu items, it appears to be similar to the actual template from my end.

George

Hi Fernando,

Yes, that’s what I am seeing on the Menu bar. I just gave that example as quick one to see. But if you look closer, there are other differences. For example, the template has a “LIFESTYLE” heading in parallel with the “LATEST EDUCATION” heading. But the “LIFESTYLE” heading is missing on my staging site. And the “ENTERTAINMENT” and “COMMUNITY” headings are also missing.

As I mention before, the import never completed. I waited a long time. I never saw the “view your new site” message. It just kept spinning on “Importing content.”

George

Just a follow up … I created a fresh WordPress staging site at my host (Pair Networks).

I did a fresh WordPress install, installed the GP theme and GP Pro plugin. I activated the site library. I selected the NEWSROOM template. Then I did the Import of options and content. The results are at:
    https://wp-staging-au43sbvwfn.pairsite.com

I got exactly the same results as before. After 20 minutes, the “Importing content” is still running.
    The content that was imported looks just like my previous staging site. At first glance, it looks like it worked, but when you examine the menu bar and scroll down, the content is definitely jumbled up as compared to the template example.

Thanks,
    George

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi George,

For the menu, can you go to appearance > menus, check if the menu is imported? If so, choose that menu and assign it to the primary navigation, if not, please let me know!

For the layout difference, it looks like your homepage is still displaying the blog, not the imported static page.

Can you go to settings > reading and set it to A static page, then select the imported home page as the homepage?

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

George

Hi Ying,

Wow! Yes, that fixed all the issues.

However, there’s still the underlying root issue that causes the import to never complete ( I waited way over an hour).
    I assume that needs to be fixed for future users. Also, I am assuming that the two manual changes I made should have been completed by the import?

Anyway, I am good to go now with the Newsroom template, now that I know about the work arounds.

Thanks so much!!
    George

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi George,

Also, I am assuming that the two manual changes I made should have been completed by the import?

Yes, that’s correct, especially you were importing the template to a fresh install. We’ll do some more digging on the importing function, thanks for your patience ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.