[Support request] Previous posts missing/duplicated

Home Forums Support [Support request] Previous posts missing/duplicated

Home Forums Support Previous posts missing/duplicated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Peter

I post to a blog most days and have been generally happy with generatepress premium. However, I have just noticed (and readers have) that previous posts are not always displayed in date order: To explain
    PC (W10 Chrome) Posts are displayed back to Feb 13th, then there is a gap back to Dec 20th, when posts pick up again
    2nd PC same config & s/w:Posts displayed in the correct date order. All appear in date order
    iPad (newish, latest iOS) Posts displayed back to 13th Feb, then a gap back to 9th October. This duplicates some posts randomly and displays them two or three times.
    I assume the theme automatically posts in date order?
    I appreciate this could be something to do with local cache, but I cannot control readers cache for them?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

definitely sounds like a caching issue. If your not into writing mod rules on your server or your cache doesn’t provide this option then maybe give this plugin a go:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/force-refresh/

Peter

Installed the plugin – posts still don’t appear in date order. Would have thought posts appearing consecutively was a basic feature of any WordPress theme?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The default setting is for the posts to display in date ( descending ) order. I am not experiencing the issue and as it seems to be isolated isolated to specific devices i would say it is cache related.

If you clear the browser caches on your devices that are effected does the issue go away?

Peter

Thanks David
    I have cleared the cache on this pc and still have posts missing – the latest being a gap between the 13th and 8th of February. An identical system does not have any missing.
    An iPad jumps straight from February the 18th to October 9th! At the same time an iPhone doesn’t have any posts missing.
    The blog has a few thousand readers – I can’t control their cache?
    There is something going seriously wrong here.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

By previous posts, do you mean when you scroll down the blog and posts automatically appear?

Or are you using the next/previous links when inside the single post?

Let me know 🙂

Peter

At the moment I have your theme set to read more/infinite scroll. Previous posts appear, but with big chunks missing – but only on some systems.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That is definitely strange. Are you able to test this with all of your other plugins deactivated just to rule out a plugin conflict?

Peter

Down to the basic plugins now: Askimet, Jetpack, Contact Form 7, reCaptcha.

Still happening – big chunk of posts missing between 13 – 23rd of this month.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We can do this:

remove_filter( 'the_content_more_link', 'generate_content_more' );

However, there’s no way to target the posts inside that plugin only.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just tried on my Windows PC and my Macbook and didn’t notice any gaps.

Infinite scroll works by fetching the next page of posts using AJAX. The next page if found by using the built-in WP URL structure.

yoursite.com/blog/page/2
    yoursite.com/blog/page/3
    yoursite.com/blog/page/4

On the PC you’re experiencing issues with, what happens if you manually go to those URLs? Do all the posts display?

Peter

Thanks for your help Tom.
    Followed your last instruction
    page/2 – starts with a post on 27.2 and infinite scrolls without anything missing
    page/3 – starts 23.2 ditto
    page/4 – starts 20.2 ditto
    However today, this pc, which has displayed symptoms previously is displaying perfectly from the homepage, as is an iPad that has previously had chunks missing (also readers in other locations have displayed the same fault). I have changed nothing since I disabled the plugins as per previous correspondence – since when there have been display problems
    With regard to you previous suggestion can I enable code snippets and post there?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that’s super strange. It’s near impossible to debug something that only happens sometimes, as you can imagine.

If it’s something your readers are experiencing frequently, it might be best to disable infinite scroll for now.

I’ll do some research to see if this has happened to others uses Infinite Scroll (it’s a super popular library).

Peter

Fully appreciate that Tom. Definitely happened. Will switch off infinite scroll and continue to monitor – thought it might be using too much memory on the server anyway?
    One plugin that I have disabled is WPBeginner’s Compact Archives, which appeared to be using a lot of resources – can you recommend an alternative?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It could be a resource thing. What were you using that for exactly? A compact widget of all your archives?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.