[Resolved] Prevent Featured Images from Loading on Pages

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Prevent Featured Images from Loading on Pages

Home Forums Support Prevent Featured Images from Loading on Pages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nathan

Hi folks… what I’m after is the ability to prevent featured images from loading at all on pages. I want my clients to be able to add a featured image to a page so that it shows up correctly on the OpenGraph when it’s shared on social, but I don’t want the image to display on the front end.

Yes, I know I can hide with CSS, but the image is still actually loading, which affects page speed. So I don’t want to just display:none the featured image.

I’ve found this file generatepress > inc > structure > featured-images.php and I’ve added a conditional to line 59 to prevent the home page image from loading:

if ( ! has_post_thumbnail() || ! is_home() ) {

The above works and prevents the featured image from loading on the Home Page. Here are my issues…

(1) It doesn’t work with is_page() for some reason to prevent loading on all pages, Only works for is_home().

(2) Also, I know hacking the theme isn’t the solution, but when I tried to move the file to my child theme (replicating the folder structure as I have with other themes and placing the php file inside), Generatepress is not picking up my revisions and is reading the core theme file instead.

I have the following folder structure in place: generatepress-child > inc > structure > featured-images.php.

If you could explain how to solve the above 2 issues or if you have a better way of accomplishing this (which is quite possibly something simple I’ve completely overlooked), I’d appreciate it!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

What if you just disable them through the customizer? https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adjusting-the-featured-images/

Nathan

And there’s the something simple I overlooked. ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually, I didn’t have the blog option enabled in Premium, so that explains it.

Thanks for the quick response as always. You guys are great!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.