[Resolved] Preload Hook not working

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Preload Hook not working

Home Forums Support Preload Hook not working

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    comichouse

To speed up loading times I want to preload a font using this GP hook (wp-head):
    <link rel="preload" href="/wp-content/plugins/elementor/assets/lib/font-awesome/webfonts/fa-solid-900.woff2" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin>

But Google PageSpeed keeps giving me this warning:
    Warnings: A preload <link> was found for [url] but this has not been used by the browser. Check if you are using the crossorigin attribute correctly.

What am I doing wrong?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

did you change the Link attributes ? As I am not seeing the crossorigin or the type attribute

comichouse

Hey David,

Yes, you are right. In the html the attibutes are missing. Still, in the webhook the code is correct and complete (as far as I know). Here’s what it looks like in WP: https://imgshare.io/image/zV5qe

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Looks like WP is stripping it – What if you include the full attribute ie. crossorigin="anonymous" ?

comichouse

Yep! WP is not stripping that one. Nice! Still the same error message keeps popping up though. As long as the browser is not using the preload rule, there is no benefit.

comichouse

Hold up! I just tried PageSpeed again, and the message is gone. So I guess it’s working now, although I don’t see any speed increase. On the contrary, it takes longer. But it seems this error is solved, so thanks for helping out!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I am no longer seeing that error in the console or in Google Pagespeed test or a lighthouse report – where are you seeing it ?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Looks like our replies got crossed….
    Problem you have preloading a font is that it render blocks the site being displayed. So the delay is all up front.

I personally would suggest looking at how to get rid of Font Awesome icons if you can.

comichouse

Okay. I’ll look into that. Thanks again!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.