[Support request] Post overview (with ajax filter) and post single, how to do?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Post overview (with ajax filter) and post single, how to do?

Home Forums Support Post overview (with ajax filter) and post single, how to do?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anders Nielsen

Hey!
    First of all, thanks for this awesome theme! I’ve been making WordPress themes from scratch for a long time now and is now moving over to Generate press.

For this, I need to set up a post overview page, link (link 1), and I need a bit of guidance on how I can accomplish the best possible result and during the GeneratePress way.

So regarding the Post overview, blog page. Then I need to be able to have followed and edit in following:

Page title + description
    Highlight the newest made post.
    Take all tags and list them up and make an ajax filter functionality to sort posts.
    Newsletter as you see on this page after 6 posts are not anything I need.

How would you recommend me doing this?

I am considering disabling the blog itself under settings –> Reading and then create a page called blog, and then add title + description that way, and then make a shortcode for the newest highlighted post and another shortcode the entire tag ajax filter functionality.

Maybe by just creating the shortcodes under “elements”, or by creating it under the child theme. Not sure yet, what would be best? Could you let me know what take you would do, and how I maybe could do it the GeneatePress way?

When this is said, then I am also going to build out the post single page too, which needs to look like (link 2). For this, it’s a bit easier luckily, but I still also need some clarification for it. On this page I need:
    Top section with headline, text plus date left and image right. –> This I think its quite easy to accomplish through the “elements” you offer and then add on all posts, will it take the title, excerpt, date, and show features image right. But what I want to be possible to have a video right instead, what would I then need to do?

On this page, I would also need some kind of “Table of contents” with links, in the left sidebar. How would you recommend me setting this up? I am considering ofc finding a vanilla javascript that sets this up by automatically taking all h2,h3,h4 and listing them there.. but how would you recommend me adding the javascript plugin and add the table of content, which will be fixed on a scroll.

I hope you would be able to help me out with all of my questions, it would be so helpful 🙂

If it helps, then I also have this plugin: https://wpshowposts.com/downloads/wp-show-posts-pro/ But making ajax requests and etc is not the problem for me making, I just need to understand/clear out how I can do this, the best way. As I want to be possible to easily export and import all of this functionality into future GeneratePress websites 🙂

This is my site: Angst.dk

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I am considering disabling the blog itself under settings –> Reading and then create a page called blog, and then add title + description that way, and then make a shortcode for the newest highlighted post and another shortcode the entire tag ajax filter functionality.

Since you’re going with a custom layout, I think this is a good idea. You can also use a plugin like WP Show Posts instead of creating your own shortcode, but if you’re able to build a simple shortcode with your desired markup/query, it will be lighter than using a plugin.

Maybe by just creating the shortcodes under “elements”, or by creating it under the child theme. Not sure yet, what would be best? Could you let me know what take you would do, and how I maybe could do it the GeneatePress way?

If you’re using shortcodes, you likely don’t need to use Elements. Just build your shortcodes in your child theme, then output them on your custom page.

Top section with headline, text plus date left and image right. –> This I think its quite easy to accomplish through the “elements” you offer and then add on all posts, will it take the title, excerpt, date, and show features image right. But what I want to be possible to have a video right instead, what would I then need to do?

Elements is definitely the way to go here, and you can use your shortcodes in the Element as well. So I would build a shortcode that gets the video from a custom field in the post and then outputs it.

On this page, I would also need some kind of “Table of contents” with links, in the left sidebar. How would you recommend me setting this up? I am considering ofc finding a vanilla javascript that sets this up by automatically taking all h2,h3,h4 and listing them there.. but how would you recommend me adding the javascript plugin and add the table of content, which will be fixed on a scroll.

I think the easiest method here would be to add the TOC to the left sidebar and then stick it using position: sticky. I do believe there are quite a few plugins that offer this kind of functionality as well 🙂

Hope this helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.