[Resolved] Please help

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Please help

Home Forums Support Please help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Merry Makowski

I know there must be a simple way to do that, but again, I do not have a clue where….

While working on my pages SEO, I changed few titles, (they were too long) and with that change, the whole address changed too. It looks like my SEO is working: http://prntscr.com/5h7sj5, BUT it brings to ‘Oops! That page can’t be found’. Gosh, it could not get much worse than that…

It needs to be fixed ASAP, and it will take me loooong to find the right info, this is why I am asking here. I know this is not a Generate Press issue, still hoping for an answer from Tom or some knowledgeable forum member. Thanks so much, Merry

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Merry,

You can change your page titles all you want, and it won’t create any 404s.

However, if you change the permalink (the URL) – it will return a 404 if someone tries to reach the old URL.

Options:

1. Change the permalink back to what it was.
    2. Use a plugin like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/

That will allow you to create 301 redirects from the old URL to the new URL, so users won’t get a 404 error, and Google will know the new location of the page.

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

Merry Makowski

Thank you Tom, I wish I had that before:

Existing features include:

Automatically add a 301 redirection when a post’s URL changes

Now it will be more complicated for me to find and redirect those old urls… but I will of course try πŸ™‚

Oh, and I know I can change page title without changing the url, but… from the SEO point of view, this is bad, at least a part of the exact title should be included in your url

I must be doing something right with it for if you search for SFI members testimonials my brand new blog is… well, I will not say it, maybe at your location will be placed differently;-)

Merry Makowski

WHOOOOO HOOOOO, your plugin works like magic even for me!
    it took me only seconds to redirect and all is working the way it should now πŸ™‚

Thanks so much!

This is definitely the best place to ask questions, but I promise, I try not to do it too often.

Merry Makowski

I still have to add something here.

I even do not need to search for those old urls with 404 error, the plugin does, amazing πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad that plugin helped! πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.