[Resolved] Placeholder text in search not translated (Possible bug?)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Placeholder text in search not translated (Possible bug?)

Home Forums Support Placeholder text in search not translated (Possible bug?)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brunner

I am new to debugging a theme problem but I think I found a glitch in “searchform.php”.

The placeholder string “Search …” does not get replaced even if it seems to be correctly translated. My german site still shows “Search …”.

The same is true if the search does not find anything. The page still shows “Sorry, but nothing matched your search terms. Please try again with some different keywords.”

The theme and the plugin are up to date.

Thank you for your supoort.

Andy Brunner

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm that’s strange – all of the translations are handled by WordPress.org.

Any custom functions/template files on the site?

Andy Brunner

I just found the cause of the problem.

In WordPress, there are the languages “German” (for Germany) and “German (Swiss)” for the german speaking part of Switzerland. They correspond to “DE” and “DE_CH”. The missing translation only occurs for “German (Swiss)”. For this website, I changed to “Germany” and everything is fine now.

I will check, if I can fix this in WordPress itself.

Thank you for your Support.

Andy Brunner

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, right! Yes, those specific languages would need to hit 96% completed on WP.org in order to work on your site.

Let me know if you suggest any translations and I’ll request you become an editor so you can approve them 🙂

Thanks!

Andy Brunner

I checked the translation of the locale de_CH and could not find any error.

But I am now signed-in to the WordPress Slack space and will try to find a solution with the team responsible for de_CH.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The translation will only ship once it reaches 96% complete, which is likely why it’s not working.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.