[Resolved] PHP in pages/posts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] PHP in pages/posts

Home Forums Support PHP in pages/posts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom

Tom –

I’ve seen that you’re a fan of Code Snippets, but that only works for code that should work as if it were in a functions.php file. Do you know of a way (plugin, black magic, etc) which will allow php in pages/posts that works well within GeneratePress?

Basically I want to create a way to calculate years since a date. Many of my clients have statements on their sites like “A family owned business for 25 years”. The idea is to automate updating this date.

The code (if it worked within a page) would look something like this for a business which started Feb 11, 1981.

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
    <body>

We have been in business for <?php $bizstart=new DateTime("1981-02-11");$today=new DateTime();$interval=$today->diff($bizstart);echo $interval->format('%y '); ?>years.

</body>
    </html>

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

(other) Tom

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I believe this is the answer you are looking for: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/php-in-post/#post-509911

Let me know πŸ™‚

Tom

Thanks Leo. I messed around with making my own shortcode last night, but I think I got the syntax wrong. It kept spacing things out strangely. I’ll read the docs and give it another whirl tonight. Good to know I’m on the right track. Will update progress, thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚ We will be here.

Tom

Resolved! Thanks for keeping me on track.

Turns out my issue was that I was echoing the result rather than returning it (once added to my child functions.php). Late night and I just wasn’t thinking clearly.

return $interval->format('%y ');

NOT

echo $interval->format('%y ');

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome.

Glad you figured out πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.