[Resolved] PHP function by GP Hooks doesn't work, but by including to functions.php it work

Home Forums Support [Resolved] PHP function by GP Hooks doesn't work, but by including to functions.php it work

Home Forums Support PHP function by GP Hooks doesn't work, but by including to functions.php it work

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marek

Hello,
    I try to use the following function (which shows only category 1 blogs on front page) by GP Hooks but it works only if I include it to your functions.php file, which I don’t want to do, because I expect, that first update will delete my work.
    ————- START CODE ————
    <?php
    function my_home_category( $query ) {
    if ( $query->is_home() && $query->is_main_query() ) {
    $query->set( ‘cat’, ‘1’);
    }
    }
    add_action( ‘pre_get_posts’, ‘my_home_category’ );
    ?>
    ————- END CODE ————
    What em I doing wrong? (It is included exactly as described higher between Start and End Code)

Thanks a lot.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You should add it using one of these methods: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Marek

Hello,
    Thanks a lot for fast answer! I will try and give you know about my progress.
    Can you tell me please (or give a link) which PHP code is possible to include by hooks and which is not possible? Because there are some functions that works, other ones doesn’t? (I was trying to find the difference but didn’t succeed.)
    Eg. https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-columns-in-the-blog/
    or https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-hooks/ works.

My example doesn’t.

Thanks for GP, it’s great human interface.

Marek

Hello,
    I’ve tried Snippets and creating plugin by Pluginception. Both fail. It works only if the function is included to functions.php file.

If any idea, thanks a lot…

Marek

Hello again.
    I maybe found the solution. When I use this quotation mark “‘” it works from plugin, maybe from Snippets too. If I use this “‘” it doesn’t work.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Marek

Marek

Snippets works too with correct quotation mark.

Marek

Hi, there,
    last question… Can you tell me please (or give a link) which PHP code is possible to include by hooks and which is not possible? Because there are some functions that works, other ones doesn’t?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This code should work anywhere:

function my_home_category( $query ) {
        if ( $query->is_home() && $query->is_main_query() ) {
            $query->set( 'cat', '1');
        }
    }
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'my_home_category' );

Only things that output physical elements that you can see should go in GP Hooks. So if you’re adding an advertisement, or a box of some sort, it would go in GP Hooks.

Marek

Thanks a lot!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.