[Resolved] Permalink Weirdness

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Permalink Weirdness

Home Forums Support Permalink Weirdness

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi all,

I have an issue whereby I cannot change the slug/permalink for a page. I assumed this was because there was another page or post that shared the same, however when I check the sitemaps there don’t appear to be duplicates. Please can you suggest why this might be and how I can resolve it? The page in question is:

https://reclaimdesign.org/reclaimed-wood-boxes-2.html

I’m basically wanting to remove the -2 from the end.

Here are the sitemaps:

https://reclaimdesign.org/page-sitemap.xml

I’ve deleted all items from the Bin areas for Posts and Pages.

Thank you for your help!

Michael.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

post slugs have to be unique across all post types – this includes Media attachments. So chances are you have a media attachment that uses that slug.

Michael

Ah, that’s awesome David – I hadn’t considered that. So I might have named a jpeg with the same and it will break?

Michael

Sorry to be a dunce David, but if I go into the Media section of the dashboard, search for any jpg that has the same name and change it there, will it update wherever it has been attached (to be honest I don’t really understand the concept of media attachment)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Go to Dashboard > Media.
    Search for that slug.
    Hover over the Image and click edit. This will take you to the media attachment page where you can edit its permalink.

Michael

Thank you very much David. It appears that something had gone wrong within the database (a previous page was not removed completely apparently) so the namecheap technicians performed the required removal manually and ‘restarted’ the account. Took 2 hours to do, but it seems to have worked. Man, I had no idea WordPress could be so complicated…..

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Aah old permalinks …. always a pain.
    Glad you got it resolved.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.