[Support request] Performance WordPress Customizer slowed down by GP Premium

Home Forums Support [Support request] Performance WordPress Customizer slowed down by GP Premium

Home Forums Support Performance WordPress Customizer slowed down by GP Premium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Walter

I have a a wordpress sited hosted on Siteground with mainly WooCommerce and Learndash and a bunch of supporting plugins, in total 20+ plugins.

The performance of the site is fine. Page loads in 1 second roughly.

The only issue I see is that the performance of the WordPress Customizer is slow and sluggish (around 8 seconds to load).

I have deactivated all plugins and enabled them again one by one and my obeservation is that the big impact is by activation GeneratePress Premium. When I have activated all 20+ plugins the Customizer screen loads in 2 to 3 seconds and when I then also activate GeneratePress Premium it loads in around 8 seconds.

Can this be fixed ?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Unfortunately there isn’t really a fix for this other than deactivating the modules you aren’t using:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/installing-gp-premium/#activate-your-modules

8 seconds does seem like a long time though.

How long does it take if you only have GP premium activated and all other plugins deactivated?

Walter

Leo, thanks

– When I deactivate all plugins it takes less then a 1 second to load the Customizer screen.
    – When I then activate GeneratePress Premium it takes around 5 seconds to load the Customizer screen.

Performance for the Customizer screen seems fine as long as I keep Generatepress Premium deactivated so it seems and I find that very odd.

p.s. it is only in the customizer that I experience this, the site itself is fine and also all the other options in the Admin dashboard are fine. But 8 seconds to load that Customizer screen is annoying when doing some work in it on and off.

Hope you can help as I would hate to give up on GeneratePress Premium that I like to use.

Walter.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Performance for the Customizer screen seems fine as long as I keep Generatepress Premium deactivated so it seems and I find that very odd.

That is very strange. I haven’t heard other similar reports on this unfortunately so not really sure what we can do here.

This is how it loads for me with all modules enabled:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/kFiXkNWC

Have you disabled all modules that you aren’t using?

Walter

Leo,

Just to make sure that I am talking about the “Appearance -> Customize” screen and not about the “Appearance -> GeneratePress” screen …. that last screen is loading fast withinhalf a second. I have all the modules enabled except “Sections” that is disabled.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Did you check my screen capture above?
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/performance-wordpress-customizer-slowed-down-by-gp-premium/#post-1524389

It should show the customizer loading.

Are you able to pinpoint which module is causing the long load time?

You can deactivate all of them and reactivate them one by one to test.

Walter

Leo, thanks, ok I will do that as I see that when I have GP Premium activated and then disable all the modules it is loading fast ….. I will enable one at the time to see where the slowness kicks in …. hang on a minute.

Walter

Walter

Leo, have done some more performance test :

– All plugins Activated and All modules of GP Premium deactivated : Appearance- Customizer loads in 2.5 seconds on average
    – All modules of GP Premium activated : Appearance-> Customizer loads in 7.5 seconds on average
    – GP Premium modules “Colors” + “Typography” deactivated ( -> Appearance-> Customizer loads in 3 seconds on average.

Both “Colors” and “Typography” add about 2 seconds of loading time all the other modules together except these 2 add in total around 0,5 seconds of loading time.

– All plugins Deactivated and only GP Premium Activated with all modules deactivated : Appearance- Customizer loads in 1 second on average
    – All modules activated : Appearance- Customizer loads in 5 seconds on average.
    – All modules äctivated and “Colors”and “Typography” both deactivated : Appearance- Customizer loads in 2 seconds on average.

Both “Colors” and “Typography” add about 1.5 seconds of loading time all the other modules together except these 2 add in total around 1 second of loading time.

My conclusion : the slowness to show the Apearance->Customize screen in the dashboard is caused by the “Colors” + “Typography” modules …. activating these 2 modules cost around 4 seconds of loading time.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The Colors and Typography module provide a lot more options than the other modules in the customizer so it’s not surprising they take up a lot of resources to load.

I’m not sure if there is a solution for this though – the speed depends heavily on your server/hosting quality as well.

We have plan to re-write the typography module down the road so hopefully will improve this.

A workaround for now might be to disable those two modules while customizing and re-enable them once you are done with the customizer?

Walter

Leo, thanks

The odd thing is that everything else in the Admin dashboard and also the few pages that I have created with ElementorPRO including animations etc. (I am not live/in production yet and still in the set-up phase of things) are all fine with regard to pageload Performance.
    I am on a middle plan of Siteground (not the cheapest) and happy with the performance.

It is only that single option in the Dashboard (Appearance -> Customizer) that is slow when I have GP Premium with the “Colors” and “Typography” activated.

I have also created a SubDomain, Installed WordPress fresh, no plugins at all, changed the Theme to GeneratePress and installed the only plugin being GeneratePress Premium. So an install without any possible remnants in the underlying database/filesystem.

Then I observe the exact same behaviour on that fresh/almost empty site. Only that single option in the Dashboard (Appearance->Customizer) is slow when I have GP Premium modules activated.

Is there not anything I can pursue do you reckon ? That is a bit disappointing as you can imagine.

About your suggested workaround : Is it possible to deactivate the GP Premium plugin completely and only activate it when I need to alter some settings? Will everything that I have set in the plugin continue to work if I temporarily deactivate it i.e. is it not needed at Runtime ??

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

About your suggested workaround: Is it possible to deactivate the GP Premium plugin completely and only activate it when I need to alter some settings? Will everything that I have set in the plugin continue to work if I temporarily deactivate it i.e. is it not needed at Runtime ??

No – the GP Premium plugin would need to be activated for all the premium options to show and work. So if you deactivate the colors module, then the colors on your site will go back to the default without GP Premium.

The load time issue is pretty odd though. Haven’t had other reports on this.

I’ll mention it to our team and see if anyone has encounter this before.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The Colors module uses the core Colors controls, so it’s surprising that it’s doing that to your Customizer performance. You can try deactivating the module – a lot of the options save to the database, so it’s not always necessary to have active depending on which options you’re using.

The Typography module is definitely heavier in the Customizer as it needs to load all of those Google font lists. GeneratePress 3.1.0 will have a completely re-written Typography system that will address this.

Walter

Tom, thanks

At least for the next few days I keep the modules in GP Premium all activated. There are quite a few areas where it is very handy for me as a relative newbie to WordPress:
    – Setting the copyright message in the bottom banner.
    – Colors (especially the hoover colors) for buttons that are then also inherited in the WooCommerce page sections using a wooCommerce shortcode that you can not touch with elementorPRO … that works fine.
    – I use also a merged Header element for transparent Navigation + Sticky navigation, Off canvas panel.
    – Colors for the WooCommerce Info, Warning, Error boxes is very handy.
    – … and more ….

I am happy with the functionality and I see that I have to give up a bit if I just use GeneratePress without the Premium add-on. But still it is doable I think as a few missing things can be done with Elementor (also new for me) and a few things on the WooCommerce pages (Cart, Checkout, My-account) will then have a slightly simpler appearance.

I have a question, if I deactivate the GP Premium Plugin I think I still see a few (not everything) elements (like WooCommerce settings, for example If I have hidden a wooCommerce field then it stays hidden also when I deactivate the GP Premium plugin) that originates from GP Premium although it is de-activated.

Is there a way to remove all remnants that come from GP Premium, I can then do that and do a proper test om a staging copy of my current setup to see if I can do without GP Premium? Is there a way to cleanup all the remnants from the WordPress Database/Filesystem?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

GP Premium can do two things:

1. Extend functionality that exists in the free theme by saving your settings to the database. The free theme can recognize these settings even when GP Premium is no longer activated. This is likely what you’re seeing as “leftover”.

2. Add to the functionality of the free theme. When GP Premium is deactivated, these elements are also deactivated.

The only way to remove GPP settings is to do a reset of your options in “Appearance > GeneratePress”.

One thing I would try is to test another server/host. The times you’re getting certainly aren’t normal by any stretch – something strange is going on locally.

Walter

Tom, thanks

– Agree that it is very odd that I have only a slowness with the loading of the “Çustomize” option in the Dashboard while the rest is all fine. I have also contacted SiteGround Support but they see it as a third party application issue and point me to a development group that fixes issues, maybe I ask a quote but when it cost more than the Premium plugin itself I will not pursue that.

– Other host/server: I have to explore but not sure if I can do a trial somewhere (I have a yearly plan with SiteGround that I bought 3 months ago) ….. my gut feeling is also that then the problem will be gone.

– OK I saw the reset option and will try that out later when I have exhausted the routes to resolve this although I am not very hopefull on that.

regards, Walter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.