[Support request] password protecting the blog archive page

Home Forums Support [Support request] password protecting the blog archive page

Home Forums Support password protecting the blog archive page

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark

I have a GP site at staging1.hardyness.com and can’t seem to password protect the “Email Archive” page, which I have set (in Settings | Reading) as the blog archive.

On the Email Archive page, when I set the Visibility to password protected and enter a password to use (bridget1), and go to the home page and browse to the Email Archive page, I am NOT challenged to enter a password.

However, if I password protect (via the WordPress visibility option) another page, like Contact, then it DOES challenge me to enter a password.

Is there something special about the Blog Archive page that is resisting password protection via the WordPress “visibility” option? If so, is there another way to accomplish this task?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I will include the admin login credentials below.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Archive Pages are NOT a standard post type, and WP simply ignores any Meta Box actions in the post editor including the Password Protection.

There is a plugin that allows you protect Category Archives:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/access-category-password/

But i can’t see an option or an alternative to protecting the main Blog.
    You may have to look at an alternative method such as a Members or Restrict Content plugin.

Mark

Thanks David,

I also have looked at the access-category-password plugin. I suppose that if I always made the category of my posts to be a certain category, then that might work as the only posts in the archive were of one category that was protected.

Mark

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

That could do the job, then simply do not set a page for your Latest Posts in Dashboard > Settings > Reading.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.