[Support request] Palatino Linotype font not supported on Mac and Apple devices

Home Forums Support [Support request] Palatino Linotype font not supported on Mac and Apple devices

Home Forums Support Palatino Linotype font not supported on Mac and Apple devices

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carlo de Carolis

Hello, I selected the Palatino Linotype font for the body content but it is not supported on Mac and Apple devices because the css is incomplete for a full support: font-family: “Palatino Linotype”; …on mac, iPad and iPhone the font shown is “Times” and not Palatino… I know, I can add custom css that works: font-family: “Palatino”, Palatino Linotype, serif; but I don’t like making this addition because I believe it should be integrated by default. Also missing are many google web fonts…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the System fonts contain a LOT of legacy fonts including Palatino which was well supported on most win/mac devices.

If you want that font across all devices you would need to own that font and install it as a local font on your site.

Google fonts we limit the list to the ‘top’ 200 – which we review periodically. This article explains more and how to show all ( not recommended for performance ) or add specific fonts to the list.

Carlo de Carolis

Hi David thanks for reply,

Sure I know! Also on my mac there is the Palatino font … but the problem is not the font is the css code generated by GeneratePress which is not compatible because it is incomplete … as I wrote before, this is the code generated by GeneratePress:

font-family: “Palatino Linotype”;

But unfortunately, the font shown is Times and not Palatino … to show the correct font I had to add custom css as follows:

font-family: “Palatino”, Palatino Linotype, serif;

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Aah ok – we’ll take a look into that.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Thanks for the heads up here. We have a full rebuild of our Typography structure planned for GP 3.1.0 and GPP 1.13.0 which will address issues like this.

For right now, there is a “hack” you can apply. You can overwrite the System Stack value to the value you need:

add_filter( 'generate_typography_system_stack', function() {
        return '"Palatino", Palatino Linotype, serif';
    } );

Then choose “System Stack” in the Customizer.

Less than ideal, but it will work until we release the new typography system 🙂

Carlo de Carolis

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply! I’m happy with the news of the next updates … I will wait for version 3.1.0! Good job!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds good – thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.