[Resolved] Pages and pulling categories from blog

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Pages and pulling categories from blog

Home Forums Support Pages and pulling categories from blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kelly

I have 2 pages Dating and Relationships on my primary navigation. I want those pages to pull and display certain articles that are only from that category from my blog. How do I do this? I tried creating a sample post and while it went to the correct category “Dating”, when I clicked on the folder it brought me to another page with the header dating but not my original page that I created. How do I make it go to the pages I created or should I be doing something else?

Thank you!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

See the Adding Categories to WordPress Menus section of this article:
    https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-add-navigation-menu-in-wordpress-beginners-guide/

Kelly

Leo you are awesome! That solved one problem but now I have another related to it..lol! How do I add different images to the page header on those category pages?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You will need to create one header element for each category and use the custom image as background image option 🙂

Kelly

I created the 2 headers for each category and they still aren’t showing. For the display rules, I have for location: post category and then the category. Is there something I’m missing?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try Post Category Archive then the category name.

Kelly

Just tried and it did not work.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Are you talking about pages like Dating and Relationship?

If so I’m already seeing page hero on those pages.

Make sure you remove the previous page hero before assigning new ones to them.

Kelly

I am using Dating and Relationships Categories in my primary navigation. I created new elements for each so I could do headers for both of them with different images. I created the display rules and still nothing shows up. I am very frustrated.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

There is likely conflict in display rules.

Looks like the Relationship and Dating pages currently share the same header element:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/anYuatTO36

What happens if you remove that header element?

In the elements listing page, you can click quick edit the set them to draft.

You can test by setting all elements to draft except the ones for Relationship and Dating.

Kelly

So the padding then won’t be the same? Do I need to make it bigger?

Kelly

I’m sorry for being so difficult with this. I am just really trying to learn and do this. I got the categories to show the hero images but I don’t understand why I had to change the padding? Also, I set a featured image for the blog page but for some reason, that hero image isn’t showing so I’m not sure what I need to exclude or include in my rules? I feel like I am so close yet so far to getting this site set. Thanks for your continued patience, help, and support.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you take a screenshot of the element listing page? (in Dashboard > Appearance > Element)

You can upload screenshots using a service like this and provide the direct links here:
    https://postimages.org/

Kelly
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.