Page Header Image Crop Position

Home Forums Support Page Header Image Crop Position

Home Forums Support Page Header Image Crop Position

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for posting this – I’m going to play with it a bit, as I think this will help a lot of people if I can nail it down.

So you’re setting the image through the Page Header metabox, and not the featured image?

Ideally, the “Use Background Image” option should look for the featured image if no page header image is set, yea? Might be worth building that into the next version.

Jessica

Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought “use background image” meant “grab featured image”. I thought it meant something else like having it fill the whole page (as a background) instead of the responsive size I wanted. And a hard crop would need to be set each time tequiring me (or a client) to remember the size each time.

Ideally, not having to upload in 2 locations would be great to achieve the effect: like uploading a featured image and then setting the page header info.

When I’m done with the site I’ll send you a link so you can check it out. I’m still finishing the custom post types and portfolio galleries which is way more time consuming (argh)

Figuring out how to utilize the header feature works now because it allows me to overlay text into the image. And for consistency sake I like all the “features images” to be the same in inside pages.

So this method allows me to do that since I created the classes in my style sheet. So they’re all the same now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you! Looking forward to seeing the site πŸ™‚

Jessica

Hi Tom.

I’m remembering you mentioning previously something about how if you click the “Add background image” in the “Page Header” meta section, it should pull the featured image.

Unless I am remembering it incorrectly, that doesn’t actually happen. It seems the only way to get the image I want shown the top (using this responsive vh styling I’ve got going on), is bypassing the Featured Image altogether and use the Page Header area.

ENTER: THE ROADBLOCK
    BLOG
    Featured Images: If there is no Featured Image set on individual posts, the blog landing page (showing all the posts/excerpts/columns/masonry, etc) does not show any of the header image previews. The Page Header isn’t being pulled into the blog thumbnail preview and I don’t want to have to set it in 2 places (ie: the default Featured Image + Page Header section, since the FI isn’t being pulled into the PH).

Individual Blog Posts: (related to above) Is there a way to make the Page Header show up as the Featured Image & Thumbnail? The customizer options refer to Post Image (which I’m assuming is the featured image) but doesn’t allow you to use the Page Header for the post.

GENERAL PAGE HEADER QUESTION/ISSUE
    Unless I enter (at the very least) an empty space or text of any kind, I do not get the options for Page Header > Content Settings in the Page Header area – which is the very thing I NEED = the settings. I don’t want to HAVE to add text to the images. In many cases, I just want the image, and let the blog post content flow beneath by default.

It’s also a potential issue is that a client will never remember all those individual settings. Is there a way to (by default) have the content settings options expanded regardless of whether or not there is text in that area? Mostly for efficiency AND consistency – trying to avoid having to set those things on every single post, especially is there are many posts.

I’m not sure if I missed something, or if there’s a function I can add to do what I’m looking for = override the defaults. Make sense?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It doesn’t happen yet, it’s something I’ve added into the next version though.

1. I suggest using the featured image, but if you don’t want to set it in two places, temporarily add some code into the content area and select the “Add to excerpt” option, then delete your content.

This option is hidden due to a bug – it’s the only option there that should be visible when no content is added. Working on a fix for that (not as easy as it sounds).

2. Same as above, you’re looking for that Add to excerpt option.

3. The options hidden when no content is added are done so for a reason, as none of them apply unless content is present (the exception being the add to excerpt bug above).

Jessica

Thanks Tom. I’ll work in these suggestions tomorrow. After 9 hours looking at code, I can’t see straight anymore. πŸ˜‰

I appreciate the suggestions and workarounds…and what’s involved updating & modifying things. I know I’m definitely pushing the theme to its outer limits, but the results are pretty cool so far.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Pushing the theme to its outer limits is what will continue to improve it, so I appreciate it! πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.