[Support request] Off-canvas menu or standard header menu?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Off-canvas menu or standard header menu?

Home Forums Support Off-canvas menu or standard header menu?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by David.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Holland

Folks: I’m struggling with the off-canvas panel in terms of where to set what. Right now, my website http://www.robertdeanholland.com has two menus for the desktop display. On the standard menu with dropdowns, there is a hamburger menu on the right. If the user clicks it, they get the off-canvas panel menu instead. I found where to set the sizes etc. However, this seems like bad website design, but I do not know how to fix it, or which direction is best nowadays?

Should I suppress the top header with the logo, too?

If I have the standard menu bar with dropdowns for the desktop, should I also have the off-canvas panel?

Or should it be one or the other for the desktop?

Or, should the off-canvas panel only be for mobile?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do I send you folks some jpg images taken of our two smartphones side-by-side while displaying the website? Explanation follows. Vicki and I have two smartphones; hers is slightly newer, both are 4G. On the top menu of mine, the cube logo (which takes the user home) is fine on my older smartphone, and the hamburger menu with the off-canvas panel is on the right, which pops out the off-canvas menu. On my wife’s smartphone, this refuses to render correctly, and, instead, it shows the old desktop menu. Have I not got the correct settings for the off-canvas mobile menu set properly?

I have set a temporary admin login for your team, but I don’t know if you keep these, or throw them out after several days? Anyway, I reset the password.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

When it comes to Off Canvas, the simplest and most common UX would be to set it to Mobile Only.

If you wanted to use it on Desktop too and have it replace the stand menu. Then you can do that, but you would need to:

1. in Appearance > Menus create a new Menu, do not add any menu items to it.
    2. set its Location to Primary Navigation

That will remove the standard menu and just leave the Off Canvas toggle.

On my wife’s smartphone, this refuses to render correctly, and, instead, it shows the old desktop menu. Have I not got the correct settings for the off-canvas mobile menu set properly?

Go to Customizer > Layout > Primary Navigation and increase the Mobile Menu Breakpoint to 768. Then clear any caches on your phones and check to see of the off canvas appears.

Adding Screen shots:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-premium-support-forum/#uploading-screenshots

Passwords and stuff in Private information:
    We don’t keep copies of that content, and it is auto deleted when a topic is resolved.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.