[Support request] No sidebar on home page

Home Forums Support [Support request] No sidebar on home page

Home Forums Support No sidebar on home page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sonya

Hello. I’ve read through some of the replies on this topic but couldn’t find the specific resolution to simply not being able to get a right (or any) sidebar to show up on a plain, non-commerce, non-blog, static home page. By adding a widget, I managed to get the right sidebar to show up on most of the pages, except the home page and two subpages, but I’m much less concerned about the subpages. For the home page, I used the customizer every way I can see based on your videos and tutorials and have also tried left-justifying the text in the section editor. I also think I have a lot to learn in terms of lining up the containers such that the full width section (image) on the home page is equal in width to the contained sections (content) plus the sidebar. But I guess that’s a different topic. First I have to get the sidebar to show up on the home page. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for your patience.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Sonya,

I noticed in the screenshot you sent me earlier that “Customize > Layout > Sidebars” was set to display a sidebar, but the actual page wasn’t showing one.

Are you using any custom functions in your child theme?

Sonya

Hi. Thanks for your response, but I didn’t know I was using a child theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you’re not using any custom functions and the Customizer option isn’t working, your next place to look is the meta box for that page: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/choosing-sidebar-layouts/#metabox

Sonya

Thank you again. When I disabled sections completely for the home page, the sidebar showed up on the home page. So I tried changing the settings within the sections to set both the box and the inner box to “contained” and vice versa, but nothing changed until I turned off sections completely for the home page. Which settings are global and which are page-specific and which settings override which? I am not using any page builder plugin other than sections. I also have Full Width Content unchecked in the Page Builder Integration setting on the home page, but even with that unchecked, the sidebar disappears from the home page when I turn sections back on, regardless of what settings I use inside the section editor. What is the purpose of the page builder integration setting? I would be ok with just leaving sections turned off, but I’d like to understand why that is necessary. Thanks very much.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, by default the sidebar won’t display while using Sections as they’re typically used for full width sections on the page (no sidebar needed).

You can force them to be enabled when Sections are turned on like this: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/sections-add-on/page/2/#post-153836

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.