Home Forums Support New font

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Farokh

HI

I purchased a new Persian font (Iran Sans), and wanted to know if it gets deleted with the next GP update? (I don’t use a child theme)

If the answer is yes, is there another way of stopping it from getting deleted after update? (other than using a child theme)

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Since the font needs to be hosted somewhere, I think your only option is using a child theme.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Farokh

I wish I had used a child theme in the first place, just did not know about all this..

Converting to a child theme seems a daunting task…Can you put me in the right direction?

Or alternatively, I may install the font every time the theme updates, what do you think?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There’s a blank child theme here: http://generatepress.com/api/themes/generatepress_child.zip

You may need to re-set your logo and copyright option, as they’re theme specific.

You could definitely just re-add the font each time you update as well – totally up to you.

Let me know if you need more help 🙂

Farokh

If I use the blank child theme, ALL my pages will be lost, is that correct?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No, your content won’t be touched. Themes only control how to display content, they don’t add or remove it.

If you’re worried, just do a database backup before changing anything – probably a good idea to do once it a while anyways.

Farokh

OK then, is there a tutorial on how to do this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A plugin like this might help: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-db-backup/

Farokh

Oh,I mean a tutorial on installing a child theme in the middle of the way, not from the very start

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Just upload it as a new theme in Appearance – Themes – Add New – Upload.

Farokh

JUST LIKE THAT !!!

I thought it’s more complicated like it says here:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

That is super great if I could have a child theme without losing any conten…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yep, super simple 🙂

Only have to reupload your logo and change your copyright most likely.

Farokh

DONE, GREAT 🙂

Thank you so much, I did not know how super easy it is.

Thanks for the help SO much, Tom

NOW, this means I will not lose any added fonts, right?

OK then,can you also point me in the right direction on how to upload and install the new font?

Farokh

This is the CSS provided by the font developer:

/**
    *	Name:			IRAN Sans-Serif Font
    *	Version:		4.0
    *	Author:			Moslem Ebrahimi (moslemebrahimi.com)
    *	Created on:		Dec 25, 2012
    *	Updated on:		Dec 12, 2015
    *	Copyright:		Commercial/Proprietary Software
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    فونت های ایران سن سریف یک نرم افزار مالکیتی محسوب می شود. جهت آگاهی از قوانین استفاده از این فونت ها لطفا به وب سایت (فونت ایران دات کام) مراجعه نمایید
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IRAN Sans-serif fonts are considered a proprietary software. To gain information about the laws regarding the use of these fonts, please visit www.fontiran.com 
    This set of fonts are used in this project under the license: (.....)
    **/
    @font-face {
    	font-family: IRANSans;
    	font-style: normal;
    	font-weight: bold;
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Bold.eot');
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Bold.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-8 */
    		 url('../fonts/woff2/IRANSansWeb_Bold.woff2') format('woff2'),  /* FF39+,Chrome36+, Opera24+*/
    		 url('../fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb_Bold.woff') format('woff'),  /* FF3.6+, IE9, Chrome6+, Saf5.1+*/
    		 url('../fonts/ttf/IRANSansWeb_Bold.ttf') format('truetype');
    }
    @font-face {
    	font-weight: 500;
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Medium.eot');
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Medium.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-8 */
    		 url('../fonts/woff2/IRANSansWeb_Medium.woff2') format('woff2'),  /* FF39+,Chrome36+, Opera24+*/
    		 url('../fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb_Medium.woff') format('woff'),  /* FF3.6+, IE9, Chrome6+, Saf5.1+*/
    		 url('../fonts/ttf/IRANSansWeb_Medium.ttf') format('truetype');
    }
    @font-face {
    	font-weight: 300;
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Light.eot');
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_Light.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-8 */
    		 url('../fonts/woff2/IRANSansWeb_Light.woff2') format('woff2'),  /* FF39+,Chrome36+, Opera24+*/
    		 url('../fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb_Light.woff') format('woff'),  /* FF3.6+, IE9, Chrome6+, Saf5.1+*/
    		 url('../fonts/ttf/IRANSansWeb_Light.ttf') format('truetype');
    }
    @font-face {
    	font-weight: 200;
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_UltraLight.eot');
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb_UltraLight.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-8 */
    		 url('../fonts/woff2/IRANSansWeb_UltraLight.woff2') format('woff2'),  /* FF39+,Chrome36+, Opera24+*/
    		 url('../fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb_UltraLight.woff') format('woff'),  /* FF3.6+, IE9, Chrome6+, Saf5.1+*/
    		 url('../fonts/ttf/IRANSansWeb_UltraLight.ttf') format('truetype');
    }
    @font-face {
    	font-weight: normal;
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb.eot');
    	src: url('../fonts/eot/IRANSansWeb.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),  /* IE6-8 */
    		 url('../fonts/woff2/IRANSansWeb.woff2') format('woff2'),  /* FF39+,Chrome36+, Opera24+*/
    		 url('../fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb.woff') format('woff'),  /* FF3.6+, IE9, Chrome6+, Saf5.1+*/
    		 url('../fonts/ttf/IRANSansWeb.ttf') format('truetype');
    }

I should copy paste this to the first line of my Child theme style.css ,only AFTER I added the correct url address like below:

REPLACE ALL .. with lingaline.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/generatepress_child

Is that correct?

1. Do I need the ” qutation marks in pranthesis for url address?

2. Is lingaline.com/public_html correct OR should it be public_html/lingaline.com ?

This may not be directly your question to answer, but it would immensly help me, and I do appreciate your help.
    Thank you

Farokh

I added the above css to the child them style.css after the lines below, Also added one space between them,

/*
    Theme Name: GeneratePress Child
    Theme URI: http://generatepress.com
    Description: Default GeneratePress child theme
    Author: Thomas Usborne
    Author URI: http://edge22.com
    Template: generatepress
    Version: 0.1
    Tags: two-columns, three-columns, one-column, right-sidebar, left-sidebar, fluid-layout, responsive-layout, custom-header, custom-background, custom-menu, custom-colors, sticky-post, threaded-comments, translation-ready, featured-images, theme-options, light, white, dark, black, blue, brown, gray, green, orange, pink, purple, red, silver, tan, yellow
    */

Also kept the quotation marks, and used this address, where I uploaded the font files:

http://www.lingaline.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/generatepress_child/fonts/woff/IRANSansWeb_Bold.woff’

But the font is not added in GP or Elementor, What am I missing? What should I do?

Please, help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.