[Resolved] Need help making left sidebar sticky

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Need help making left sidebar sticky

Home Forums Support Need help making left sidebar sticky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Matt

Hi there,

I’ve installed the Easy Table of Contents plugin, on my Mellow theme, and affixed it the left sidebar. But I need help making it sticky, so it follows down the page as user scrolls. I’d also like to highlight it, like they do here: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-build-a-node-js-application-with-docker-quickstart.

Ideally, I’d actually like to recreate the same sidebar style they have here…

Do i need any custom CSS for this to work? Currently, when I scroll beyond a certain point, the ToC just disappears completely. I’ve toggled Smooth Scroll on/off, neither one works. I’ve also inputted “#left-sidebar” into the Widget Affix Selector selector, and still nothing.

Any help appreciated!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

The leftside definitely shouldn’t disappear when scrolling.

Does the same thing happen if you just use a normal text/HTML widget with some test content in it?

Matt

Hi Leo,

When I disable the ‘affix to #left-sidebar’ stuff, it doesn’t disappear anymore, but it also does not stick (obviously).

I’ve just removed the ToC, and added a test text-only field. It doesn’t disappear, but it doesn’t stick.

Matt

Checking this box breaks it and causes it to disappear. Leaving it unchecked doesn’t break it, but it isn’t sticky / doesn’t follow as you scroll down the page.

https://imgur.com/a/okt4guB

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That case can you check with the plugin support?

Matt

Ok

Matt

Side note, I think you guys should stop recommending this Easy ToC plugin… I’m searching through your Support, and many people seem to have issues with it – me included.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is sticky the only issue?

It would be good to see if their support would have a fix but we can probably try some CSS as well.

If you find another TOC plugin that works better than let us know ๐Ÿ™‚

Matt

Hi Leo,

I have made a breakthrough. For some reason, it failed to stick to the left sidebar. But it works on the right sidebar. I suspect this has something to do with my container widths or something, but after all this frustration, I’m moving on.

Using Easy ToC. I guess it’s fine.

THanks.

Matt

Nevermind… it switches from the Right sidebar to the left… I don’t know what’s happening…

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear!

Thanks for reporting back ๐Ÿ™‚

Matt

Leo, can you see my most recent reply?

Why would it be that setting it to sticky, it switch from Right sidebar to Left sidebar upon scrolling? I”ve tried tweaking every container width setting I can find, but to no avail. Any help is so much appreciated, having the worst day trying to resolve this.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I don’t believe it has anything to do with GP’s container setting.

Were you able to get some advice from the plugin author?

Matt

Just seems funky that it would switch from the Right sidebar to the left of my body text…

I filed a Support ticket earlier in the day but have not heard back yet. I guess I will report back if I ever hear a response…

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

So the layout of that post should be right sidebar?

The body class is showing that it’s setting to the left sidebar:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/UW6yVjaZGC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.