[Resolved] Multilingual WordPress Website using GeneratePress

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Multilingual WordPress Website using GeneratePress

Home Forums Support Multilingual WordPress Website using GeneratePress

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Timo

Hi!

My question is related to multilingual websites.

I noticed that there is already a Finnish translation of GeneratePress (https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-themes/generatepress/). There are also great translation plugins for WordPress, that can help me to translate the content on my website.

But there is still something I haven’t yet figured out and that is: how should I implement a multilingual WordPress site with GeneratePress?

For instance, for each post, there is a bit of metadata visible, like: “April 27, 2020 by Timo”.

The date formatting is a bit different in my country, but I don’t pay attention to it for now. However, the word “by” needs a translation, and it’s provided by the theme(?).

So how does the translation occur in practice:

a) I translate the word “by” (and the rest of the words provided by the theme) with WPML. But this means that the next time a new version of GeneratePress comes out, the translation will be overridden back to the original?

b) I’ll install a separate version of GP (the Finnish version) next to my English version?

What is the preferred way to do this? Or rather, is there a nice way to do it?

Cheers,
    Timo

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I translate the word β€œby” (and the rest of the words provided by the theme) with WPML. But this means that the next time a new version of GeneratePress comes out, the translation will be overridden back to the original?

Not 100% sure but if the translation is done with the plugin then it shouldn’t be overwritten when updating GP.

Can you give that a shot? Just remove the current version and reupload it.

Timo

Ok, thanks.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry did it work? Let me know πŸ™‚

Timo

Don’t know, haven’t tried yet πŸ™‚

I’ll get to this later.

Cheers,
    Timo

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sounds good πŸ™‚

Timo

So if I wanted to install the Finnish version of GeneratePress, how would I do it?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Like as the default version?

If your WordPress language setting is Finnish then the translation should automatically apply as it’s 100% translated:
    https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-themes/generatepress/

Timo

Ok.

So I installed GP and switched the WordPress language to Finnish.

Now, when I go to the front page of the website, most of the content is in Finnish. But then, there are some words in English, like Uncategorized or 1 comment:

https://bloginperustaminen.com/

What do I need to do next? Are those untranslated words coming from WordPress or from the theme?

Cheers,
    Timo

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Couldn’t you edit the category name within WordPress?

Timo

Yes, I can do that.

What about the word “comments”. Is that coming from GeneratePress or from WordPress?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Timo

Actually, the texts I have mentioned are now translated.

I’ll refer to the documentation if needed. Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.