[Resolved] Menu Icons Don't Carry Over From Homepage

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Menu Icons Don't Carry Over From Homepage

Home Forums Support Menu Icons Don't Carry Over From Homepage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mia

Hey there,

So I have the Better Font Awesome Plugin and added icons to my top and bottom Nav menu following the recommended documentation page that you provide (very helpful!). The icons work great on the Homepage, and link where they need to go just fine (social media, home, etc), but on subsequent pages the icons show up as empty squares (though the links are still functional). Is there something I’m doing wrong here?

I saw an article that suggested selecting/deselecting an option in Customize > General, but I don’t see that option so I assume that’s already done.

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Looks like some pages are working and some pages are not.

I do see quite a few console errors on the pages that aren’t working.

Can you try #1 here?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

Let me know πŸ™‚

Mia

Hi Leo,

I went ahead tested the plugins but didn’t seem to find one that was causing the failure. I also toggled between GeneratePress and Twenty Seventeen and was still having issues on that theme, so I assume there’s something else going on. I removed the social buttons for now and may try a plugin instead as a workaround.

Going off of what you said about finding a few errors on some of the pages, I did some looking and you’re right – a few of the pages have “Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘value’ of undefined at timestamp etc etc”. I removed a few lines of code that I had added to the header file in order for my Salesforce web-to-lead form to work and that seems to have solved the issue. This doesn’t seem to solve the icon issue so I’m still not sure what’s going on there, but at least I know it’s not the theme!

Thanks for the help, I think I’ll need to start fresh and see where I get (clearly not an experienced web developer here!)

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sounds good.

Let me know if you need another look πŸ™‚

Mia

Hi Leo,

So I’ve tried about everything I can think of at this point and nothing seems to work, even plugins aren’t giving me icons in my menu (secondary menu to be exact) which leads me to believe I may have done something to inadvertently block this perhaps? Any extra advice you might have would be great!

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Any chance you can unlock the site or provide a password so we can have another look? πŸ™‚

Mia

Site is unlocked now πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Where are the icons supposed to show?

Mia

The ideal situation would be to have them on the Secondary Nav (the grey one) so instead of Our Story, Services, and Pricing we’ll have a Facebook icon and a LinkedIn icon. I also wanted to add a Home icon to the left of Our Story on the Main Nav (the white one)

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm I’m not seeing icons being added with the navigation text?

Mia

I deleted all versions of them (first I just tried adding the html image tag fro Font Awesome + the link (this was the first method I tried, and why I wrote in initially), then I tried various plugins) because nothing was working, they either weren’t showing up at all or were showing up as blank squares. So there aren’t any icons in the menu right now – I can go back and try adding via the first method so that you can do some troubleshooting?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah unfortunately we really have no idea what’s causing it without icons being added.

If you can add the icons in and disable all the plugins to make sure there aren’t any console errors, then we can definitely tell you a bit more πŸ™‚

Mia

Okay, so icons are added to the Secondary and Main menus, and all plugins aside from GP Premium are deactivated (my site looks totally different now! eek!) Hopefully I can get it back to normal after our testing but it should be ready for that!

Mia

As an update, I’m checking this post every few minutes, so you can let me know when you’re having a look and I will deactivate Beaver Builder again. With that one inactive I can’t do any of the cosmetic stuff I’m working on, but I’ll toggle it off when you give me the go ahead that you’ll be in there!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

it looks as though you are using BB to add FA5 icons to the home page, but nowhere else (?) So home page is pulling the FA5 icons from BB. Whereas the rest of the pages are grabbing the FA4 library from the Better Font Awesome Plugin – which won’t display the FA5 icons you have used in the navigation.

So as a test. Can you disable the Better Font Awesome plugin. And add a BB section with the FA5 icons to one of the broken pages.

Let me know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.