[Resolved] Media Upload Changing Filename

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Media Upload Changing Filename

Home Forums Support Media Upload Changing Filename

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi guys,

I’ve tried to find out about this online but haven’t had much luck. I have recently uploaded some jpgs via Media in the WP dashboard. For some reason it is appending numbers to the image filename eg:

trustalyze-logo-32x32.jpg becomes trustalyze-logo-32x32-1.jpg

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and how I can fix it? I had a look in FTP to see if perhaps trustalyze-logo-32×32.jpg already existed and the -1 was being added for that reason, but this does not seem to be the case.

Many thanks for your help.

Michael.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

is this happening with all images you upload ?

Michael

Hi David, no it’s happened on the last 4 I have uploaded and I’ll be damned if I can work out why. I just deleted them from the media library and uploaded by sftp instead, but it’s weird if I can’t add them in the library

Michael

Actually, now I am looking at the library it seems that a lot of them have had numbers appended, so yes, it looks like it’s happened with more than the last 4….. If I look in SFTP the names look alright, so that is very weird. There are also a bunch that have had their names changed completely to random numbers (which I definitely didn’t upload like that) like 1179649260.jpg?! These ones have Detach written next to them, and I’m not sure what that implies? Sorry if I’m being a dunce but this has thrown me.

Also, looking in SFTP, most of the images have additionally sized images added via the media library:

photo.jpg
    photo150x150jpg
    photo300x158.jpg
    photo1024538.jpg and so on

Michael

In this example numbers are being appended to the filenames:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hb38ygsypstiyc/appended-numbers1.jpg?dl=0

In this example the filenames have been completely changed (and it says Detach next to these – I have no idea what this means?):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnmx6yai1aklcyk/totally-changed-filenames.jpg?dl=0

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The numbers are image sizes defined by your WP installation or plugins. For example, if a plugin uses add_image_size() to add a new image, that size will be created every time to upload a new image.

I’m not sure about the completely new filenames.. Perhaps a plugin you’re using?

Michael

Hi Tom, I think it may have something to do with Ecwid plugin but am having trouble finding concrete evidence! Thanks for your help and enjoy your weekend.

Michael.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks! You too 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.