[Resolved] Media Settings

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Media Settings

Home Forums Support Media Settings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stephen

Hi,

Not strictly a GP support question as such, however, re WP Media Settings. Some sites recommend changing the image sizes, width and height numbers, to 0 and to make WordPress stop producing extra image files. Is this really a good idea or will it cause problems with responsive design?

Thanks
    Steve

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can if you’re worried about disk space, but I typically wouldn’t worry too much about it πŸ™‚

Stephen

Hi Tom,

I’m not to worried about disk space. I was more concerned with the impact of download speeds and responsive design. If I change the settings to zero, and WP no longer creates the extra images, surely this will have a negative impact on download speeds and responsive design as the small images will no longer be available?

Thanks
    Steve

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Serving an image as close to the size you need it to be is definitely best. Serving a massive image to fit in a 500px wide area is bad practice for example. WP has responsive images using srcset, which tells the browser to use the image as close to the width of the container as possible. It’s definitely best to just let WP do its thing when it comes to images πŸ™‚

Stephen

Thanks Tom.

Steve

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.