[Resolved] Making Content Containers Full Width on up to 1200 px

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Making Content Containers Full Width on up to 1200 px

Home Forums Support Making Content Containers Full Width on up to 1200 px

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Megan

Hi team!

I have successfully removed the left and right sidebars from showing up on my site on devices up to 1200 px. I believe I worked out that this is the required break point for removing it on an iPad mini.

However, now that the sidebars have been removed, there is a blank space where the sidebar was, and I would like to have the content container snap to a full width, as it automatically does on a phone. I would need this for both pages, which utilize the left sidebar, and posts, which utilize the right sidebar.

Here is an image to illustrate the problem (image is of a post which is set up as content / right sidebar, but the same is an issue for pages I have set to left sidebar / content): https://www.solofemaletravelers.club/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/95982758_679124952665074_2807408735989792768_n-scaled.jpg

While I have achieved getting rid of the sidebars with my own CSS, I haven’t managed to achieve making the container automatically full width for devices up to 1200 px.

I hope that makes sense!

Thankyou!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

within your CSS media query that is removing the sidebar include this CSS rule:

#primary {
        width: 100%;
        float: none;
    }
    Megan

That’s working perfectly with the right hand sidebar (thankyou!), though doesn’t seem to be making a difference to the left sidebar. I’m wondering if it’s because I’ve got the following CSS in to dictate a specific positioning of the left sidebar, and notably also have positioning directives in place for the width of page-id-13817 (this page is the only page which displays a left hand sidebar, and it’s perfect on both phone and desktop, but I can’t for the life of me get the width on an ipad to snap into place like the smaller screen of a phone).

This is the CSS I’ve got running right now, I don’t know if it’s easy to spot why the left-sidebar command might now be working?

I really appreciate your help, thankyou in advance!

@media
    (min-width: 990px) {
    #left-sidebar {
    position: -webkit-sticky;
    position: sticky;
    top: 14%;
    margin-left: -75%;
    margin-bottom: 400px;
    width: 217px;
    margin-right: 0px; }
    }
    .page-id-13817 .container {
    max-width: 95%;
    margin-left: 0%;
    }

@media
    (max-width: 1200px) {
    max-width: 100%;
    }

@media
    (max-width: 1200px) {
    #left-sidebar {
    display: none;
    }
    #primary {
    }
    }
    @media (max-width: 1200px) {
    #right-sidebar {
    }
    #primary {
    width: 102%;
    }
    }

Megan

Typo in this line, should be ‘might *not* be working’

“This is the CSS I’ve got running right now, I don’t know if it’s easy to spot why the left-sidebar command might *not* be working?”

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You have several of the same 1200px media queries – the first of which is missing a closing bracket. You can combine them all into however, so try replacing your CSS with:

@media (min-width: 990px) {
        #left-sidebar {
            position: -webkit-sticky;
            position: sticky;
            top: 14%;
            margin-left: -75%;
            margin-bottom: 400px;
            width: 217px;
            margin-right: 0px;
        }
    }

max-width: 95%;
        margin-left: 0%;
    }

@media (max-width: 1200px) {
            max-width: 100%;
        }

#left-sidebar,
        #right-sidebar {
        }

#primary {
            left: unset;
            right: unset;
        }

}
    Megan

Thankyou for cleaning the CSS up for me (I’m slowly learning)! Unfortunately it still hasn’t solved the issue with the page featuring the left sidebar and the blank space on the 1200 px sized devices. What I have realized though is that while the page container is showing up as 100%, the alignment of the page is way off. You can see what I mean in these screenshots:

What you see when the page originally loads: https://www.solofemaletravelers.club/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/95362861_537322380508766_4439940743095648256_n.jpg

What you see when you swipe the device left: https://www.solofemaletravelers.club/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/96413238_658499451364832_5729804900523573248_n.jpg

Is there any overriding CSS which could essentially just make a command that for any device up to 1200 px, act in exactly the same way you would act for a phone? The phone and desktop version are perfect, though devices inbetween are caught in a weird limbo.

I’ve just noticed too that columns don’t seem to be responsive within the theme on an ipad either, while a phone stacks them beautifully one on top of the other, medium devices stack them quite haphazardly. So if there was a command that could adjust the breakpoint up to 1200 px to mirror the responsiveness of a phone, that might solve all problems?

Thankyou! 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I updated the code here

Megan

Perfect! That’s done the trick, thankyou 🙂

Truly appreciate your help 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.