[Support request] Main menu slideout toggle menu-item customization

Home Forums Support Main menu slideout toggle menu-item customization

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Pontus

Hi!

I am working for a charity organisation and we have different ways for people to donate to us. I want to have a slideout menu with all alternatives and I want the menu-item for the slideout menu to stick out a lot, to encourage people to press it.

How do I change the CSS to make that menu-item have a different background color, border, different text color? Also, I want it to have a font-awesome icon and then text ([heart] Make a donation).

Thanks in advance,

Pontus

GeneratePress 2.0.2
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Try this method here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-buttons-navigation/

and replace this line:
    .main-navigation .main-nav ul li.nav-button a
    with this line:
    .main-navigation.slideout-navigation .main-nav ul li.nav-button a

Your site is also not loading for me so if you need additional help on this please double check so I can see 🙂

Pontus

I must’ve done something wrong because I could not get that to work. Instead, I tried a couple of things and eventually this worked for me:

.slideout-toggle {
    	background-color: #bb4430;
    	color: #ffffff;
    }
    .slideout-exit::before, .slideout-toggle a::before {
        content: "\f004  Give a gift";
        font-family: FontAwesome, -apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol";
        line-height: 1em;
        width: 7em;
        text-align: center;
        display: inline-block;
    }

This makes the button stick out with a red background color. However, the red background color is the same as the menu’s hover color, and because the slide-out menu’s hover background color inherits from the menu, there is no hover-effect. I tried with this CSS, but without success:

.slideout-toggle ul li:hover {
    	background-color: #000;
    }

This should make the sticky navigation button’s background color to #000 when I hover it, but it remains the same red color as all the other menu item’s hover color. Hoping you can guide me through fixing this!

Thank you!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm my method should work.

Can you reapply it so I can see what’s wrong?

Pontus

Sure, I can do that. But how do I add a custom class to the slideout navigation menu-item?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Pontus

I created a menu-item called “toggle” with the class nav-button and the following CSS:

@media (min-width:769px) {
    	.main-navigation.slideout-navigation .main-nav ul li.nav-button a {
            background-color: #ffffff;
            border: 2px solid #000000;
            color: #000000;
        }
    }

Sorry, I don’t understand what I am doing wrong. I hope you can see by checking out the website. It’s just a normal menu-item; it doesn’t have its own background color, it’s not on the right, and it doesn’t toggle a slideout menu.

Just so that I am clear with what I want to accomplish: 1) I want to change the background color and the content of the slideout menu-item. 2) I also want the slideout menu-item to have it’s own a:hover color.¨

With the that I posted above, I succeed with 1) but not with 2).

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

What do you mean by “it doesn’t toggle a slideout menu”?

Your CSS above is working to me: http://www.screencast.com/t/6liGJmI9F

This would be your full CSS if you want to change the hover color as well:

.main-navigation.slideout-navigation .main-nav ul li.nav-button a {
            background-color: #ffffff;
            border: 2px solid #000000;
            color: #000000;
        }
        .main-navigation.slideout-navigation .main-nav ul li.nav-button a:hover {
            border: 2px solid #fff;
            color: #fff;
        }
    }

Let me know 🙂

Pontus

Hi!

I think I might have been unclear, my apologies.

It is not the menu items in the slideout menu that I wish to change with CSS. It is the menu item that “toggles” the slideout menu, in other words the menu-item that the user will see all the time on the top right of the website. On my site, it’s the “<3 Ge en gåva”.

I’ve managed to change it to have a red background and “<3 Give a gift”. However, I am unable to give it its own hover color. Please see my CSS in previous post.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ahh I see.

Try this CSS for both background and background hover:

.main-navigation .main-nav ul li.slideout-toggle a {
            background-color: #bb4430;
        .main-navigation .main-nav ul li.slideout-toggle a:hover {
        }
    }
    Pontus

Thanks, that worked. But… I just updated the theme and now the CSS for the content of that button doesn’t work, So I would appreciate some assistance here. Before the update, this CSS worked to change the content of the menu-item and the font:

.slideout-exit::before, .slideout-toggle a::before {
        content: "\f004  Ge en gåva";
        font-family: FontAwesome, -apple-system, system-ui, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol";
        line-height: 1em;
        width: 7em;
        text-align: center;
        display: inline-block;

Before the update, \f004 displayed a FontAwesome heart, and the font-family was the same as on the rest of the theme. Now i see a weird icon and the font is Times New Roman.

So, how would I change the content of the slideout-toggle menu-item to “<3 Give a Gift” with font-family Arial?

Thanks Leo!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ahh we’ve removed FontAwesome in order to optimize the theme and make it fast 🙂

See the first paragraph here for explanation and solution: https://generatepress.com/generatepress-2-1/

Let me know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.