[Support request] Lost custom code with update.

Home Forums Support [Support request] Lost custom code with update.

Home Forums Support Lost custom code with update.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Sami

Hello, and sorry for bothering you guys, the issue i am having is totally my bad!
    I had a developer to write some custom code for me as i am new to building websites. The custom code was added to the parent theme and as the theme was updated all the custom code was wiped off.

I have since done some searching and understand that custom code should be added to the child theme.
    I was smart enough to create a back up of the code and i am pretty sure i know where all the custom code is.

I tried to create js, css and php files and i think everything else worked out except the functions file that i added to the child seems to break the website if i add the custom code in the file manager.

If i add it to the appearance –> editor then it gives me this error.

Your PHP code changes were rolled back due to an error on line 138 of file wp-content/themes/generatepress/functions.php. Please fix and try saving again.

Cannot redeclare woocommerce_custom_template_loop_product_link_open() (previously declared in wp-content/themes/generatepress-child/functions.php:55)

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What that error means is you’ve previously declared that exact same function name in your child theme.

Search for woocommerce_custom_template_loop_product_link_open within the editor, and make sure only one function exists with that name.

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Sami

Sorry, i don’t quite understand what i am supposed to do.

I used ctl + f and found 2 instances where woocommerce_custom_template_loop_product_link_open is used.

function woocommerce_custom_template_loop_product_link_open() {
    		global $product;

$link = apply_filters( 'woocommerce_loop_product_link', get_the_permalink(), $product );

echo '<a target="_blank" href="' . esc_url( $link ) . '">';
    }

&

add_action('woocommerce_before_shop_loop_item',function(){

global $product;

if($product->get_type() == 'external'){

remove_action('woocommerce_before_shop_loop_item','woocommerce_template_loop_product_link_open');

add_action('woocommerce_before_shop_loop_item','<strong>woocommerce_custom_template_loop_product_link_open</strong>',5);

add_filter('woocommerce_loop_product_link',function($product_link,$product){

return $product->get_product_url();

},3,2);

}

I can give you access to the editor too if want and you can fix it easily that way and i won’t be stealing your time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What’s on line 55 of your child theme functions.php file?

Sami

Thanks for your response

line 55: global $product;

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, then the code has changed since the error you shared happened.

Feel free to send me temp login details and I’ll take a look: https://generatepress.com/contact/

Sami

Sent the login info!

Sami

Hello Tom, did you get my login details? Do you need me to provide some additional info?

Thanks, Aleksi

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I replied to your email a few days ago.

I checked your child theme functions.php and there was barely anything in there. Did you remove all of your custom code?

Sami

Oh yeah, sorry i gave a different email so i didn’t check that one.

Yeah i couldn’t submit the code because of the error. The custom code is all in the parent theme functions file.

I just tried to copy that same custom code to the child theme. You can check the parent theme, it’s all there.

Thanks for helping out.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you share the exact code you’re adding into the child theme inside a pastebin?: https://pastebin.com/

Then I’ll be able to inspect it and make any necessary edits ๐Ÿ™‚

Sami

pastebin.com/ABtuYB75

I am not a 100% of what the exact code is. My programmer added the code to the parent theme. So everything that is not part of the normal GP code in the parent functions.php is custom code i think. So i just basically copied the whole thing after the basic generate press code.

All the custom code have a //txt before explaining what it does.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I couldn’t really spot anything wrong, but maybe try this: https://pastebin.com/eKYaKRDT

Sami

Got this message now.

Your PHP code changes were rolled back due to an error on line 199 of file wp-content/themes/generatepress/functions.php. Please fix and try saving again.

Cannot redeclare the_excerpt_max_charlength() (previously declared in wp-content/themes/generatepress-child/functions.php:105)

Got this message now.

Can i remove all the custom code from the parent theme?

Maybe it is not working because i have the same custom code in child and parent now.

If you want to take a look you can use the login credentials i submitted before and see if you can make sense of it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yes, you need to remove all of the custom code from the parent theme before you add it to the child theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.