[Resolved] Latest Automatic Update Just trashed my Website

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Latest Automatic Update Just trashed my Website

Home Forums Support Latest Automatic Update Just trashed my Website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Aaron

Please help!

Whatever the latest update had in it just messed up my whole website theme. I received a message that GP had automatically updated the theme, and when I went to my website, it was all over the place visually. I have given you my url.

I have a mail chimp campaign that starts in 6 min, and this as happened at a very unfortunate time.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Sorry to hear this – it looks like the update didn’t complete correctly as the site is still requesting old file versions.

Delete the Theme and re-install it. You’re theme settings will be left intact. As a precaution seeing as the update failed, i would suggest making a back up of the site first.

Aaron

Ok. I did a full backup on cPanel. I hope that is sufficient. What is the best way to delete the theme and reinstall?

I’m a novice, so would like to know where I should go to do this?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Its really not necessary but as a precaution – check with your Host, they generally make backups every 24 hrs as standard and will have an option to make backup now.

Aaron

Ok. activated “Twenty Fifteen” theme so I could delete the GP theme. I then downloaded the GP theme and activated it. My website is still messed up.

Aaron

I’m using
    Wordpress 5.1.1
    GP Premium 1.12.1
    GeneratePress 3.0.0

Aaron

I can give you my login if you think that would help. I don’t know why my site isn’t liking the new GP version 3.0.0… I only used my site in standard ways of customization (nothing exotic with coding of any kind).

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm do you see version 3.0 under Appearance > Themes?

I checked the source of your site and it’s still showing version 2.4.2.

Any caching plugins or server cache?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Something strange going on here.

The URL you linked to thinks it’s running 2.4.2, but it’s requesting files at yourwebsite.com/system.

When I go to one of those resources https://yourwebsite.com/system/wp-content/themes/generatepress/css/all.min.css?ver=2.4.2

It says not found, but it shows that GeneratePress is working fine (it’s the 404 page), and it’s running 3.0.0 (which is why the resource goes to a 404).

What’s /system/?

Aaron

By the way…thanks a lot for your support! When I go to Appearance/Themes/Theme Details (current theme), it says it is version 3.0.0. I cleared my browser cache, but I don’t know how to clear the cache with the GoDaddy server. I would think if what you’re seeing is from the server cache with version 2.4.2, then the website would look great; since it was after the update when the site formatting went wonky.

Aaron

Ahhhh!!! This site was created under a different server under /system/ folder. When GoDaddy moved the site to their server, they tried to structure the folders the way sites are normally done and got rid of the /system/ folder structure. Apparently something is still wanting to reference that folder. Let me check with GoDaddy, and I’ll tell them exactly what you found.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, yes – that’s something they should be able to clean up. Doing so should fix everything.

Let us know ๐Ÿ™‚

Aaron

That was the issue! Its not fixed yet, but there are areas in the database that are still pointing to /system/. You guys are good! Thanks for your help, and I’m glad that it wasn’t a problem of the new release itself!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great to hear – hopefully they’re able to resolve it ASAP ๐Ÿ™‚

Omar Dusuki
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.