[Resolved] keeping HTML tags on excerpts – using 'latest posts' block

Home Forums Support [Resolved] keeping HTML tags on excerpts – using 'latest posts' block

Home Forums Support keeping HTML tags on excerpts – using 'latest posts' block

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas

Hello,

I have a latest posts block on my home page. I want to preserve HTML tags (really only the anchor tag is what I ‘m after, to show links on excerpts).

Now, the problem is this: When I select ‘show excerpt’ on the block’s settings, it strips all tags.

I have installed and activated advanced excerpt – as suggested in other threads – but it doesn’t help. Actually, the ‘advanced excerpt’ plugin does take control on category pages (the pages where all posts are shown – with url like https://my-site.com/category/title/) and indeed HTML tags are kept on post excerpts there. However, it has no effect whatsoever on the ‘latest posts’ block output – no HTML tags preserved, no word limit applied – the block’s settings are the only thing that matters. As far as the block’s output in the home page, it’s as if the ‘advanced excerpt’ plugin is not activated at all.

I researched quite a bit and came across this very detailed coding solution, among others, but it’s quite old and I ‘m not sure it would solve the problem. Also this plugin seems promising, although I can’t see from its description whether it provides useful options.

I was thinking maybe GeneratePress theme/settings have anything to do with this behaviour (although I doubt it).

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter – and I hope any clarification will be useful in the future for people having the same problem (as the most popular solution, advanced excerpt plugin, doesn’t affect ‘latest posts’ block).

Thanks a lot for your time,

t.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Here are the two solutions that work for the excerpt on the main blog page:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/text-shortcode-does-not-appear-in-excerpts-on-archive-pages/#post-1144841

Unfortunately I’m not sure if it will work for the latest posts block.

If that doesn’t work for you, I’d recommend reporting the issue to the support of Advanced Excerpt and see if they are able to help.

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Thomas

Hi Leo,

I did open a relevant thread on the support of Advanced Excerpt but unfortunately the developer there simply acknowledged the fact that for the time being such a filter (preserve HTML tags) cannot be applied to the ‘latest posts’ block. It might be added in the future. I just reply here for your reference as well as others who might search for a similar behaviour. I decided against posting the plugin developer’s reply here (for search purposes) – if you feel it would be useful just let me know and I will edit this text, or copy-paste the text found in the link above.

I will mark this issue resolved as there is nothing you guys can do about it ๐Ÿ™‚

Again thanks for your prompt reply and awesome support.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for posting back!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.