- This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by David.
May 6, 2018 at 11:54 am #569029Gary
I’ve decided to try the Sider theme as it would suit my blog perfectly. The design seems to have installed OK but there are some differences to the demo which I need to address and I’ve been unable to find any documentation to help. The differences are:
1. The demo shows 4 posts on the theme. I assume there is a setting where I can dictate how many posts show? Currently it seems to show all the posts in my blog. Under Reading Settings I have stated 4 posts per blog page but it does not seem to make any difference.
2. I don’t really need the newsletter signup option but I would like to display some social icons like you see in the demo. On my site no social icons show and I can’t see where you would add this.
3. I assume I can change the blog name (in your case Sider) to a logo in settings? If so what size image do you recommend for this theme?
4. When installing this theme I noted that it said certain plugins that are required would be installed but in my case none were installed. I know one was called Contact Form 7 but what were the others? If I add these plugins manually now will I get the features automatically? My contact page is blank.
5. Finally I assume I can add a footer to this theme so that I can include things like categories and popular posts etc?
GaryGeneratePress 2.1GP Premium 1.6.2May 6, 2018 at 7:13 pm #569219LeoStaffCustomer Support
1. I’m seeing only 4 posts per page: http://www.screencast.com/t/4xjjx6qNF5t
2. That’s using header widget area: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-widget/
3. Should be in site identity: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/site-identity-overview/
No recommended size – it can be as big or as small as you want.
4. You can click on the Details of Sider to the plugins. In this case there are these three:
– Contact Form 7
– MailChimp for WordPress
– Menu Icons
You should also be able to install them through Site again.
5. Yup footer widget should still work.May 6, 2018 at 11:47 pm #569278Gary
Thanks for reply. Yes I found theme had an option for infinite scroll ticked. Demo probably the same but only 4 posts in total which was what confused me.
Still not sure exactly how I get the social icons to appear. What widget do I put in header widget area? I assume that menu icons plugin is required for these icons to appear but when I tried it I did not see an icon for Instagram like on the demo so really not sure.
I’ve added a logo and happy it displays ok.
I’ve added contact form 7 and that’s working fine. Don’t need to add the MailChimp plugin as don’t bother with newsletters these days.
Finally added footer widget and all working fine.
If I can just solve the social icons issue everything will then be done.
GaryMay 7, 2018 at 5:14 am #569504DavidStaffCustomer Support
Hi Gary, the social icons are created in a Menu, the Sider site should import one called ‘Social – Sider’ it is within the Menu that you can edit the icons. Then its just a case of using a Navigation Menu Widget.May 7, 2018 at 6:40 am #569593Gary
Ok when I imported the sider theme none of the plugins or any social sider menu were imported. How is it possible to add these icons now?
Based on the list of required plugins stated I’ve assumed the one called menu icons achieves these icons. If it’s not this plugin then why exactly does it state this plugin is needed? Assuming I’m right that this plugin is required can we confirm exactly which plugin we are talking about? I’ve installed one called menu icons by ThemeIsle but it does not seem to contain an icon for Instagram like the demo.
Once we’ve established whether we need a plugin to add these icons and which one it is can someone point me to an article on how to add them? I can create a menu called social and have it appear as primary menu but this then replaces my text menu links like home and contact. I don’t see any option to add the icons to an existing menu so they appear below the text links as in demo.
Happy to give access to my dashboard as I’m either not understanding or the import did not work currently and I have other issues which is why what you are explaining makes little sense to me.
GaryMay 7, 2018 at 6:41 am #569594Gary
ThanksMay 7, 2018 at 6:52 am #569599DavidStaffCustomer Support
Hi Gary this is the plugin, which is the one you mentioned by themeisle
To use this go to Dashboard > Appearance > Menus. Here you will need to create a new Menu and save it with the appropriate name, but don’t assign it to any of the navigation areas. Add a custom link for each of the menu items, below which you should have the option for adding the relevant icon. Once done, save the menu.
Then within the Appearance > Widgets, select the widget area and add a Navigation Menu widget and select the menu you just created.
Alternatively – you can try using this plugin, which is one of Tom’s – this will add a new Widget that you can add to any area and all the options are built into the widget:May 7, 2018 at 7:14 am #569622Gary
Thanks for the more detailed explanation. As mentioned the themeisle plugin does not contain an instagram icon in my installation which is why I was questioning if I even had the correct plugin.
I’ve decided to use Tom’s plugin instead and that works well and looks good too so I’ve marked this thread closed.
GaryMay 7, 2018 at 7:31 am #569641
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.