[Support request] Issue not present with legacy hooks, but is with elements

Home Forums Support [Support request] Issue not present with legacy hooks, but is with elements

Home Forums Support Issue not present with legacy hooks, but is with elements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Derek

So just when we fixed one issue by migrating to Elements, another issue popped up that wasn’t present in legacy, but is in the new elements plugin haha. Sorry…

For some reason my social sharing buttons are appearing in my header πŸ™‚ I’m using the “After Header” Hook location, as I am for the other pages such as /blog or the categories (which is now working).

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What code are you using to output the social icons?

Derek
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi, have you changed the site? I can see the social icons and they are after the header?

Derek

Hi David,

Nope I didn’t change the site, I just migrated all my old hooks to elements: then that bug happened πŸ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Derek, on the posts page i can see the social icons and they are below the header. So a little confused…..

Derek

Hi David. Yes, indeed that is the bug. The social icons were not below the header before I migrated from gp hooks to elements. When I migrated from GP hooks to elements, my social icons moved below the header haha I have no idea how that could of happened which is why I’m reporting this bug. Something in the new elements hook plugin changed how that header worked and somehow moved the social icons. Ofcourse I do not want them under the header πŸ˜› It’s funny because migrating my hooks has actually fixed 2 other issues I had, but this is the only bug that happened as a result of the migration from gp hooks to gp elements. Any idea how I can fix this?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Check the hooks you were using:

Inside the header would have been the After Header Content.
    Outside the header is the After Header.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Where are the icons supposed to be? Are you using a shortcode to output them?

Derek

Hi Tom,

The icons are supposed to be below the post content, which they are, but somehow an extra set of icons was placed under the header when I migrated it from gp hooks to gp elements.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Just looked through the code for that plugin. When it’s set to automatically add the icons, it filters them into the_content filter.

What’s strange is that the Page Hero isn’t ran through that filter, so the plugin has no reason to add icons.

I’ll do some testing and will get back to you.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So you’re adding a BB element inside a hook after the header, correct?

What happens if you remove the BB element, and add some custom text? Do the icons disappear?

Maybe the BB element is calling the_content, which is causing the icons to display.

Derek

Hi Tom,

Thank you for looking into this. Yes you are correct.

If I remove the BB shortcode and add custom text the icons do indeed disappear. The thing is though…I’ve been using that header for some time now, well before I upgraded and migrated to elements, and those sharing icons didn’t show up there until after I migrated from the legacy hooks. I thought maybe there was something in the way the new plugin handled these types of shortcodes from bb that caused the issue since it has also fixed some of my problems.

If this can’t be fixed, do you have a recommendation for another lightweight plugin to display sharing buttons below the content? I know you developed a social sharing plugin of some type, because I used to use it on my old website, but I’ve lost it and couldn’t find it via Google.

Thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Derek,

ill pass this onto Tom.

Regarding Social icons – Tom’s Lightweight Social Icons provides icon links to social networks not Social Shares.
    This is a super lightweight social sharing specifically built for GP:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/gp-social-share-svg/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s possible that the BB module wasn’t loading correctly in the legacy hooks (same issue we had with the styles not loading). Now that it’s in Elements, it’s actually loading correctly.

I really like this plugin for social sharing: https://wordpress.org/plugins/shared-counts/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.