[Support request] Is there a way to remove the uncategorized category?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Is there a way to remove the uncategorized category?

Home Forums Support Is there a way to remove the uncategorized category?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ilse Turnbull

I found the spot where I can rename it, but why is it even there? There is a section for new posts – that’s useful. But if I don’t put a post in a category it shows up in uncategorized – what is the point of that?
    Maybe a suggestion on what to rename it if it can’t be removed – like, what would be useful?
    I just put up a favorites category – clearly they aren’t all going in there.

It’s animal videos – I guess I could divide them into birds and animals.

Also – is there a way to add an image – like the featured image used in the ‘index’?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Ilse,

WordPress requires at least on category for them to work. Once you have assigned your new default category you can actually delete the uncategorized from posts > categories.

I have used this plugin for category featured images, it is out of date, but so far no problems, it also uses the category featured image as a fallback for posts that don’t have one

https://wordpress.org/plugins/category-featured-images-extended/

Ilse Turnbull

Thank you David. If I need one default category – I think I’ll go with separating the videos into birds and animals, then the favorites category.
    I’ll have a look at the plugin – I think a pic would dress it up nicely.
    Thanks again for your help

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Your welcome Ilse, you may want to just create a general or other category that separates these from your regular posts rather than create a more complex structure. Over time you can re-categorise them =)

Ilse Turnbull

Thanks, I didn’t think to call it general, just called it Posts, I can change it later. Thanks again

Ilse Turnbull

I installed the plugin – can I set a different image for each post, or just for the category in general?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.