I recently found out about generateblocks and it does seem interesting but it does raise some questions for me.
1. Is GenerateBlocks made by the same team as GeneratePress?
2. If yes, does this mean less development will be done on GP?
3. Do we get access to the premium version of GB if we have GP premium? Or any kind of discounts?
I have seen many wordpress theme developers go on to making a second, then a third theme/plugin and it goes on from there… So I was wondering if GP is planning to develop more features since to me it feels like some functionality is being split off into a separate plugin.
1. Yes, GenerateBlocks is developed by us.
2. No, this will have to impact on the development cycle of GeneratePress & GeneratePress Premium.
3. Pricing and discounting is still under review at this time.
The two plugins are intrinsically different, GPP is for theme level controls, whereas GB is for Content editing. We have always maintained that a Theme should not command a users content so the user is never locked in to the theme. The only area where GB replaces anything theme related would be the old Sections Module, which is now redundant for any user working with the Block Editor.
If anything our development of GB will only enhance the development of GP + GPP. With advancements in WordPress moving towards more React.js over PHP we will be ahead of the game if the Theme has to update to this technology.