[Resolved] integration of Jetpack food menu

Home Forums Support [Resolved] integration of Jetpack food menu

Home Forums Support integration of Jetpack food menu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Elisabeth

Hi again

I’m working on another GeneratePress site – asked some questions about this specific problem on the main WordPress/Jetpack forum when I was using a different theme on it before transferring it (like everything I now do…) over to GeneratePress. The link to the forum question explains in detail the problem.

Briefly – I’m using the restaurant menu feature in the jetpack plug in. I’m finding it excellent to use – inputting the menu items and categorising them is easy and intuitive. When I organise them into ‘sections’ (eg starter, main etc) all works well. However when I categorise them as ‘gluten free’ or ‘vegan’ and then click on that category in order to display all the vegan or gluten free (etc) dishes in one menu by themselves they appear in a muddly order. I think in the order that I entered them, rather than in the order of their categories.

This was happening with the other theme I used and is still happening with GP. I’m attaching the url for the forum question so you can see the answer I got on the jetpack forum. The site I’m working on is itself currently behind a construction page so hard to share unless there’s some way of me sending you a temporary log in. I’m a little baffled as the jetpack/WP forum was adamant that it as a theme problem, but this has now happened with two themes I have used.

Can you advise on solving this problem?

Many thanks as always.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth

Just to be clear, the idea is to be able to click on the ‘vegan’ or ‘gluten free’ categories and have all (but only) the vegan, gluten free (etc) options appear looking like a menu in the right order. In effect creating a vegan only menu page, a gluten free only menu page, etc.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can send login details via the Account Issue form:

https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please add the URL of this topic to the form.

Elisabeth

Will ‘editor’ rights be enough to let you poke around and see what you need to see?
    Cheers
    Elisabeth

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I am sure that will be enough for us to have a nose.

Elisabeth

It requires an email address to set up a user – what would you like me to use?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

[hidden]

Elisabeth

Just managed to set that all up now and emailed/filled in the contact form.

The rest of the back end of the site is all over the place and I’m working on it – headers etc are a mess. Don’t let that distract you – it’s just the jetpack food menu I’m asking for assistance (for now!).

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you trying to order the actual categories? If so, this plugin should help: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/taxonomy-terms-order/

If you want to order the actual posts, this should help: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/post-types-order/

Elisabeth

I think it’s labels they call it in the jetpack restaurant menu set up, not categories. My bad. What I’ve got in the restaurant menu as ‘gluten free’ ‘vegan’ and ‘vegetarian’.
    Basically – when it just displayed the menu items labelled ‘vegan’ I want it to do so in the order of the sections of the menu.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Those could be taxonomies, so this plugin should give you the ability to re-order them: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/taxonomy-terms-order/

Elisabeth

Hi there

That did indeed sort out the ordering problems. Thank you. The items now get pulled through to the various menu category/label pages and show in the right order. One more minor problem with the ordering remains – when it pulls through all the gluten free dishes to the ‘gluten free page’ it just lists them (in the right order but with no subheadings for starters, mains, side dishes etc). That may be related to…

…my next problem (and I can post this as a separate topic if you like): When I get all the menu items to display on a page there is no price showing.

I believe this jetpack food/restaurant menu works when you have a ‘menu’ page template as an option in page attributes. In the theme I was using previously for this (but switched to GP Pro) this was an option. I assumed that when I switched on ‘restaurant menu’ or ‘food menu’ in the jetpack plug in it would create that page template which would appear in GP Pro as well, but it clearly hasn’t.

Is this something you can help me with/send me to a tutorial about or should I be looking at buying in some technical support with this?

Thanks again – you folks are lovely!

Elisabeth

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that’s strange. Are there any page template options to choose from?

Have you checked with their support to see if there’s something we need to do on the theme side of them to add compatibility?

Let me know 🙂

Elisabeth

Slightly out of my comfort zone here but taking a guess that this might help:

https://jetpack.com/support/custom-content-types/

Scroll down a tiny bit to the subheading ‘Simple Food Menus’.

If not, I’ll keep looking into this further and get in touch with the Jetpack team.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could try this:

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', function() {
        add_theme_support( 'nova_menu_item' );
    } );

Adding PHP: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.