[Resolved] Inline dynamic data

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Inline dynamic data

Home Forums Support Inline dynamic data

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel

How can I inline dynamic data into a sentence in a query template for either an archive content layout or GB query loop? The Headline block will replace all content with dynamic data. The acf shortcode seems to only work for single posts, not in loops.

Example: When? [date] Where? [location]

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GB headline block has this inline width option built in, can you give it a try?
    https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/headline-overview/#spacing

Gabriel

A step in the right direction but whitespace is added between the headline blocks on the same line. The whitespace is visible in the preview, not in the editor.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Gabriel,

Can you check if there’s a left or right margin/padding set for your Headline Blocks? If there is, try removing them.

Gabriel

There’s no padding or margin. The inline width headlines get the style display: inline-block;. Since there’s whitespace between the divs in the HTML the whitespace being rendered is kind of expected.

Added more details in private information.

Fernando
    Customer Support

I see. How are you specifically getting the 60 min value?

Gabriel

It is dynamic data from a custom field mapped to a headline block.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

It is dynamic data from a custom field mapped to a headline block.

The dynamic feature just pulls the data from the custom field, can you make sure there’s no extra space in the custom filed’s value?

Gabriel

There is no extra space in the custom field’s value. The extra space is only added in headline blocks. The acf shortcode adds no extra space, but sadly does not work in loops.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

I inspected the HTML, there’s no space added:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/M7MLcLEO0

If you want the 3 headline blocks to be closer visually, add -0.2em margin left and margin right to the headline block which represent the 60.

Gabriel

Your screencast is the HTML formatted in a tree structure, white whitespace between tags removed. If you use “View page source” instead you can see that there is whitespace between the tags. Elements with display: inline-block; will have whitespace between tags rendered, same as with display: inline;.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Would adding a add-parenthesis to the class list of the Headline Blocks, and then adding this CSS work?:

.add-parenthesis:before {
        content:"(";
    }

.add-parenthesis:after {
        content:")";
    }
    Gabriel

That could work but is a ugly workaround for this particular case only. If there is text on the same line it cannot be edited or translated by editors since it is hardcoded in the CSS.

Is the whitespace between tags when using inline width on headline blocks a bug or a feature?

Fernando
    Customer Support

That’s the default behavior of inline-blocks in HTML. It’s not a bug in GP.

The other more common fix if you want inline-blocks to stick to one another is to set the font-size of the Container Block to 0. Then, set a font-size value to the Headline Blocks. This should work as well.

Gabriel

That workaround allows for editing at least but I lose my default typography settings since I set font-size to 0 on the parent.

I understand there is not intuitive solution to inline dynamic data in the middle of a sentence at this time. Consider this a feature request.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.